Monday, May 14, 2012

Review: How Miss Rutherford Got Her Groove back

Title: How Miss Rutherford Got Her Groove Back
Author: Sophie Barnes
Goodreads Description:

Emily Rutherford is having a very bad day.
Of course, having the man you’ve loved forever announce his engagement to your (now very former) best friend will do that.
Emily is sure nothing good could possibly come out of this horrid situation. But she lets her sisters—along with Francis Riley, the delectable but brooding Earl of Dunhurst—convince her that a season in London will be just the thing.
Now Emily has a choice: sulk in a corner while her sisters enjoy the glitter of the ton . . . or become the belle of the ball, dazzling everyone on an earl’s arm. But as Francis helps Emily get back on her feet, she quickly realizes that a childhood crush is nothing compared to the power of true love.

 
Ok, so to the book I had said before I was going to review – but I got sidetracked as per usual - “How Miss Rutherford got her Groove Back.” As I’ve mentioned before and I never fail to mention in any given opportunity, I am a sucker for historical romances, regency ones in particular, England in the 1800’s if we’re being very specific. My favourite in that genre would have to be Julia Quinn, and interestingly enough she had helped Sophie Barnes out – as it seems from the Acknowledgement in the back of the book.

Now back to the book, the title itself caught my attention, and the goodreads description had me all intrigued – which was why I got myself a copy of it in the first place.  Sadly, it wasn’t as good as I had hoped.  I did enjoy how Sophie made the title more hip by using the word ‘groove’, the mixture between it and ‘How Miss Rutherford…’ is what caught my attention because from my experience, when the book starts with Miss-something then it’s most likely historical of sorts, or mainly old-fashioned. Needless to say I had high hopes for the book just to see how she indeed managed to get her said groove back.

The plot and storyline were interesting, I had been intrigued to see how Emily’s friends had betrayed her, I expected it to be something so drastic, that they were cunning or backstabbers or just plain cruel. However, it wasn’t any of those things apparently, it was just that they ‘didn’t know’ which I didn’t find the least bit plausible or believable. How do you not think kissing a girl and telling her you’d marry her one day wouldn’t actually matter or affect the girl, especially when you claim you’re very close friends? How do you not think to share with your best friend –or ask her if it’s ok – that you’ve developed an interest in a guy she couldn’t stop talking about for years? One she’d been in love with and had kissed and hoped to marry one day, even if she hadn’t talked about that in quite some time? Even if we’re ignoring all of that, if you were that close – by that I can be either talking about her childhood friend with whom she was thick as thieves with Adrian, or even her best friend, Kate – wouldn’t you want to tell her as it started? That you were developing feelings for someone, heck you don’t even have to mention the name, just that you’ve found yourself a suitor. And if you indeed loved your best friend that much wouldn’t you want her to know before everyone else about being enamored with someone else? Not hit her with it ever so cruelly when apparently everyone else could see how much she cared. A best friend – if we’re ignoring Adrian’s density here – would notice things like that, ones that apparently everyone else had noticed.

My favorite character would have to be Francis. He seemed the most plausible, intriguing, and I do love it when a guy is secretly in love with someone and hopes to distract the girl from whomever else they seemed interested in. I love how he fought for her and the rounds of complacency when he manages to oust Adrian from her mind.

After ignoring the first part of how Emily ‘lost her groove’ I think the story turned out alright. It’s an interesting read. 

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment