Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: One Moment

One MomentTitle: One Moment
Author: Kristina McBride
ISBN: 160684086X

Goodreads Synopsis:

This was supposed to be the best summer of Maggie’s life. Now it’s the one she’d do anything to forget.

Maggie Reynolds remembers hanging out at the gorge with her closest friends after a blowout party the night before. She remembers climbing the trail hand in hand with her perfect boyfriend, Joey. She remembers that last kiss, soft, lingering, and meant to reassure her. So why can’t she remember what happened in the moment before they were supposed to dive? Why was she left cowering at the top of the cliff, while Joey floated in the water below—dead?

As Maggie’s memories return in snatches, nothing seems to make sense. Why was Joey acting so strangely at the party? Where did he go after taking her home? And if Joey was keeping these secrets, what else was he hiding?


 Review:


Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite in regards to when people ask me what I like to read or watch. I would be adamant that I hate watching movies that don’t have a happy ending, yet, ‘A Walk To Remember’ is my favourite movie of all-time. With regards to books, I don’t like reading ones that have you so emotionally involved and easily manipulated by the author, yet my favourite book is ‘Wuthering Heights’.

I actually would have never read this book if I had read the synopsis in advance. A book that starts with the death of a friend is my idea of being emotionally invested, especially when you can see it all through the eyes of the person who lost said friend. I had liked the cover – yes I am a sucker for great covers – and decided to check it out. The first chapter was all normal so I didn’t see anything wrong until she actually wakes up to find Joey dead, that’s when I stop completely, close the book and rush to goodreads synopsis and actually read what it’s about. At first I couldn’t believe it – see? I was so drawn into the book that it was like a horror movie – but then by that point I couldn’t stop, I had to go on.

I like Kristina's description, it's almost like you're there. The details with everywhere they go, the party, the lawn, the alcove, I could just imagine being there alongside the characters. But the details weren't just with the places, also with the feelings, everything Maggie was going through at the time, I felt like I was feeling it too. The guilt, the pain, the anger, the overcoming sense of betrayal. The loss, and how it feels like everything is falling out from underneath her, like her whole world is torn apart, all of it was very engaging.

I've never lost anyone so close, but I get how when they're gone you start remembering only the good stuff, putting that person on a pedestal, but I could tell from the start Joey wasn't such a good guy. It was obvious where things were headed from the start, sure there were parts that I guess were predictable from my end, but I had to switch and see it from Maggie's point of view instead.  I felt so awful for Adam, for some reason I felt more compassion towards him than Maggie, and I absolutely hated Shannon throughout the book.

The ending was ok, though I hoped she'd eventually jump. The whole story was still very sad, it had me riding on an emotional roller-coaster which I normally hate, but I allowed it this time. I cried, got angry, but enjoyed the book nonetheless, and I am very very glad I didn't read the synopsis beforehand.

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you there on the emotional roller-coaster ride! It was totally engaging. Great review! :D

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete