Thursday, May 3, 2012

Review: Tulle Little, Tulle Late


Book description:

"It's not bad enough her cousin's stealing her thunder. She's also stealing her dress.

Who doesn't love a wedding? Nina Robertson sure doesn't, since the wedding in question is that of her hyper-competitive, catty cousin Celia. And Nina's own engagement hit the brakes (and then went over a cliff) not too long ago. And the bitter icing on the cake? Celia will be wearing Nina's dream dress. Meanwhile, Nina's no-good ex is conducting a shock-and-awe campaign on her social life. And an underhanded co-worker, along with a notoriously difficult movie star, are making her public-relations job a nightmare. Although Nina might not be headed down the aisle, she's definitely headed downhill."

Alright, this feels huge, like something BIG is about to happen. Do you ever get that feeling when starting something new? Right, this is my first ever review, so I hope I am doing it right. 

I picked this book up almost two months ago, back when I was in Kuwait. I have an ongoing tradition of buying a book every time I go to the airport (usually when in Kuwait going elsewhere). I hadn't even read the last book I bought before going to Cairo's airport (The Alchemist) but I had to follow the tradition. I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be a book I guess, I did get by on an Archie comic once, and magazines a few times, but the magazines looked dull, and I hadn't read a book in a long time - main reason why I even bought the Alchemist.... okay that and I've been dying to read it for the past 5 years. Anyhow, I'm a sucker for a great cover, and so when I saw this I decided, why not? So I sit down and order a coffee, but then THIS happens. Needless to say, I never got past the 20th page. Nothing with the book really, I am just easily distracted, so imagine in an airport?

Last night though, I decided I really need to read something, I mean, university is not going anywhere right now, might as well start off my reviewing process. It was 1 am and I had wanted just to read 2 or 3 chapters then go to sleep and continue on the morrow. Only, that's not how it went at all. I started rereading the first twenty pages and remembering how hilarious I found the book, and I just wanted to go on and on and know what happened next.

There are some books that make it feel like reading it is an actual job, but this one was flowing, smart, funny and the style was very engaging. I'd never read anything for Kimberly before and hate the fact that if it wasn't for the cover I might not have even bought this book. But I am so glad I did. 

The plots were interesting, I enjoyed how she got back and forth using flashback to explain Nina's history. It was light, the characters were all mostly believable, I enjoyed the cousin's rivalry, Nina's relationship with her friends, the separate crisis each and every one of them had at some point. I like how they're all in their mid-twenties to thirties, it gives me hope, that and I am a hopeless romantic and the idea of Dante holds a great appeal to me. I like Nina's insane 'solutions' to her problems, I thought it was funny how she was over dramatic at times. I enjoy aspects of her personality that fit mine, since I've only gone to the gym 2 times in my life, and never went back myself. 

Things I wasn't into, the whole thing with her ex-fiance though wasn't as convincing, I thought she'd catch on sooner to his schemes. Most of the scenes with the actress were a bit off in my opinion, and well, considering they were both wasted, I hoped they'd meet at least another one or two times before Dante apparently gets 'hooked'. The scenes at her work as well seemed bizarre at most. But otherwise, I loved the book!

I really love books that make me laugh out loud and make an absolute cake of myself out in public - sure I was at home, but my sister woke up a few times because of the sound of my laughter, so did my cat. The next thing I know, I have completely read the book and it was 9 am! I hate messing up my sleep timings when there's university around the corner, but it was so worth it!

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I love when a book makes you laugh out loud or cry or show any emotion that means it's a really good one! Nice review!

    your newest follower,
    Kristin
    youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I agree!

      Thanks :)
      I am now following you too ^^

      Delete