Thursday, June 7, 2012

From The Review Pile # 4

  From the Review Pile is a meme hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday.
The aim of this meme is to showcase books that you've received for review (or any book that you own and really want to read/review) but haven't yet got around to reading, in order to give the book some extra publicity


Hello there! I've been very lacking of reviews lately I know, but I am in between exams and they're not cool at all. I'd review what I have to study for text-analysis class but that's annoying. Though maybe I will do it, just for the heck of it?
Anyhow, this week's 'From the Review Pile':
Goodnight Mister Tom
Title: Goodnight Mister Tom
Author:
ISBN: 0140315411

Goodreads Synopsis:

The gruff and surly Mr Thomas Oakley is less than pleased when he is landed with a scrawny little city boy as a guest, but because it is compulsory that each villager takes in an evacuee he reluctantly agrees. It soon becomes obvious to Mister Tom that young Willie Beech is hiding something, and as the pair begin to form an unlikely bond and Willie grows in stature and in confidence he begins to forget the past. But when he has to return to war-torn London to face his mother again he retreats into his shy and awkward ways once more.


Why I own said book?
Because it's awesome would be the summarized version. But, let's go into details. When I was in 4th grade, my sister was studying this book in English class. She'd come home and tell me about each new chapter she'd had to read, and well I got really excited about it. So in fifth grade when my friend told me he had a copy I asked if I could borrow it to read it. But, back then I wasn't the avid reader I am now, and so I never managed to read it and had to return it to him. Two years later, my cousin - who works in a library - took us with her one day and I found the book there. So I started reading maybe 5-6 chapters? Yet again, I never managed to finish it, and never went back with her there. A few year later, I found in my school newsletter (one where you can order books from England) a new puffin version of the book, and I had to have it! But, since I was a senior by then, and the books for some reason were only available to middle-schoolers and anyone who hadn't passed tenth grade I couldn't order it myself, so I begged my younger sister to get it for me, along with Jinx for Meg Cabot. She did. And I finally had my own copy of it. Problem was, my older sister had told me what happens in the end, and now everytime I near the ending I get terrified and stop. So I am just hoping - after all I was brave enough to read 'One Moment' - that I could finish the last two chapters!

12 comments:

  1. That's a nice story. Finally getting the book you've wanted for so long. I have a similar story with another book.

    I have to say I'm so jealous that you live in Egypt. I'm like totally obsessed with the history and I would love to travel there one day. *Oh dream*

    Check out my FRP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha really? You should totally come then! I will be your tour-guide 8-)

      Delete
  2. Good luck finally getting to finish it! It does sound like it would be a good book, I wish I had read more when I was a kid though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then give it a shot ^^
      I hope to be brave enough to read the last two chapters :(

      Delete
  3. Huh, I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds like something they would've/should've made us read in school. I hope you get the courage to finish it one day. :P

    Here's my Awhile on the Pile post. Happy Thursday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, this is a book that I'd like to read too - it seems like everyone has either read it or watched it apart from me!

    Thanks for participating!
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this one. I'm so glad you finally got your own copy after so long, but that's a bummer you know how it ends. I hope you can push through though!!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a bummer, I hate knowing the end in advance, and the book is really nice so it was such a shame :(

      Delete
  6. This is a really great book- hope you get to read it soon! Enjoy!
    My Review Pile Post

    ReplyDelete