Friday, June 29, 2012

Review: Moa

Hello guys! As I mentioned sometime around this month, I have another book tour going on for June. It's a tour of two books for Tricia Stewart Shiu: Moa & Statue of Ku. Here's the review of the first book in the tour, Moa.


Title: Moa
Author: Tricia Stewart Shiu
Moa (Moa, #1)ISBN: 0984002006

Goodreads Synopsis:

Hillary Hause is not a witch. But, everyone in her conservative small town thinks so. When she is given a trip to Hawaii for graduation, this energetic eighteen-year-old anticipates adventure but gets more than she bargained for when Moa, an ancient Hawaiian spirit, pays her an unexpected visit.

With the help of her older sister, Molly and her seven-year-old niece, Heidi, Hillary embarks on a journey in which she not only saves herself, her family and Moa, but also the Hawaiian Islands. In the end, she learns to accept herself and her spiritual gifts warts and all.


Review:

This is a rare moment - honestly, this has only ever happened one other time with ' The Catcher in the Rye' - where I couldn't completely finish the book. I tried, I honestly did, I even took breaks, which turned to weeks, just trying to be interested enough to get back into the story, and I could never manage more than a chapter a night. I stopped at chapter 5 though, I couldn't go further, I am ashamed to say, but there was nothing else to do, I couldn't continue.

I should point out that there were many good things about the book, like the amount of research done for it. It got me interested in Hawaiian whether all that was said was true or not. It was very descriptive and the storyline was interesting. Plus the starts of every chapter were really interesting. It added an original touch, with the incantations that put you into the mood of the book.

However, the descriptions were too much to the extent that I lost track of the actual story. It would also get repetitive, where you get to read all the background story from Moa's point of view, then Moa would explain it to Hillary and I was just bored. Hillary didn't seem like a character I'd relate to, or even like, or want to read more about. She seemed dull, and when she talked it was dull. I think the story lacked fire, activeness, a reason to read on. The style was rather dry and mundane sadly, even though it was in the first person. I think it needed more dialogue to be stimulating enough for the reader.

The encounter between Moa and Hillary wasn't as inspired as I'd hoped. The way Moa chose to tell Hillary about what she is, I mean, come on, it felt like she was saying "hey, guess what? Before you were born, you promised to sacrifice yourself to save the portal. I'm here to cash in on that." And, if Moa only had a limited amount of time to show Hillary the truth, wouldn't she do something great and drastic to prove it instead of talking to a kid? There wasn't the required urgency.

It was a very slow read, and until chapter 5 nothing interesting had happened, the official story hadn't started yet, which made me eventually give up because I stopped reading everything else to focus on this book and frankly I have a lot of deadlines to follow through on.

Though, I should point out there was a quote I liked, so I am sharing it with you guys:

" Everyone is born with a loving heart, a soft heart. However, each soul's journey includes challenges in which humans must endure grief and loss, heartache and peril. Many humans allow these events to harden their hearts and create shells of resistance to any new experience."


Rating: 1/5

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review, Aliaa. I'm sorry Moa was a miss for you, but I appreciate you taking the time to spotlight it and share your thoughts. Moa is in good company with Catcher in the Rye on your "couldn't finish" shelf :-P

    Emlyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am sad I couldn't continue the full book, maybe at some point I will, but it won't be anytime soon

      Delete