Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: Starring Me

Title: Starring Me
Author:
ISBN: 1401684890

Goodreads Synopsis:

Starring MeKara McKormick is told she's auditioning to star in a new teen variety show. But it's what she isn't told that could change her life.

The feisty New Yorker moves to sunny Orlando to participate in a month-long audition, where she'll live with nine other contestants and an eccentric housemother. Kara knows that the show already has a big-time celebrity lined up for the co-host, but she doesn't know who it is.

Chad Beacon quickly rose to fame after winning America's Next Star, but he doesn't want his entire career to be about singing. There is so much more he wants to do-like act. The new variety show sounds like the perfect next step for him, but his parents want him to have a co-star who shares his faith since they'll be spending so much time together.

Acting is high on Kara's priority list. But a relationship with God? Not so much. In fact, she's tried to stay away from anything religious. But God is after Kara's heart and He's put people in her life who are showing her there's far more to Christianity than rules and judgment.

And just when it seems that Kara's going to have to give up her acting dream, God reveals that she may have a starring role after all-in a story so big only He could write it.




Review:

This book would have to be my first "Christian Fiction" read. Why would I even go for "Christian Fiction" in the first place? Well, I must have mentioned this one hundred times,  but here I go again; I loved the cover. Not to mention, it didn't sound so bad.

The storyline was interesting, and though I didn't see 'The Bachelor' or 'American Idol' I know what they're about, but I can associate this book with 'Teen Idol' by Meg Cabot and ' I want to Marry Ryan Banks' - the movie. Though of course with a religious twist.

I had a lot of mixed feelings about this book, and I was hesitant due to it being a 'Christian Fiction' read since I am new to the genre and don't like reading religious stories -unless they're from the Quran. But, I found I did comprehend some of the aspects in the book, since Christianity and Islam are quite similar in some parts. For example, when Chad's parents wanted him to have a Christian costar, so he'd be spending time with someone with the same values, it reminded me of when dad chose to move to Kuwait instead of France so we would be raised in a Muslim environment with the same values. But his family as a whole? I think they were portrayed in a more religious than the norm aspect. They were too perfect, no one is, no matter how Christian or Muslim they are.

The most character I could relate to was Kara. I had a similar incident to the one she describes, where someone very religious is what made her hate the religion, many religious Muslims drove me away from it, and to be honest I don't get how she would convert with all the people surrounding her. Religion is about being convinced that this is the perfect explanation to everything out there, to be spiritual and believe in a higher power, to be convinced into something so great. No matter how many bad things happen, you are to be certain they are there for a reason, and that in the end God wants what's best for you. I feel like she was being more of shoved all throughout the book, rather than being led to the right path.

Now, religious part aside. The storyline was very intriguing, I loved the characters and how they were developed. I love the family court part, it reminded me of an old Egyptian movie I used to love as a kid. Kara was hilarious, and I enjoyed the chemistry between her and Chad. Her relationship with Addy was fun, I am sad I didn't get to read book one and see how it was developed from there. The style this book was written in was actually quite smooth, I had opened it to read the first chapter to know what it's about and ended up reading thirteen chapters before I stopped. I took a two hour break then went back to reading it.

I guess many parts of it were predictable, but I love the extra additions, the scripts of the scenes, the singing, the interaction with actors, the side stuff, it all added up to such a fun read! If you're not into religious books, then I guess you shouldn't try reading it, but otherwise, I enjoyed it, and I would recommend it to whoever would enjoy Christian fiction.

Rating: 3/5


No comments:

Post a Comment