Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review: Wilde's Fire

Title: Wilde's Fire
Author: 
ISBN 13: 9781620070574

Goodreads Synopsis:

“There is no pain in this death, only peace, knowing I am going to die with the one I love the most.”—Katriona Wilde.

Katriona Wilde has never wondered what it would feel like to have everything she’s ever known and loved ripped away, but she is about to find out. When she inadvertently leads her sister and best friend through a portal into a world she’s dreamed of for six years, she finds herself faced with more than just the frightening creatures in front of her.

Kate’s forced to accept a new truth: her entire life has been a lie, and those closest to her have betrayed her. What’s worse, she has no control over her new future, and it’s full of magic and horrors from which nightmares are made.

Will Kate discover and learn to control who she really is in time to save the ones she loves, or will all be lost?



Review:


It's actually strange, because usually I like it when the story is in the first person, you get to see it through the eyes of the protagonist and it makes the story feel so personal, but for some reason, that's not how I felt at all with this story. I felt detached from the main character and didn't feel much concern about her health or thoughts or the goings on with her, I wasn't dragged into her life like I usually am with other first-person books. I don't know why, I guess I didn't feel it was plausible how she felt or reacted to things. Or was it her train of thoughts? I am not sure, but something about her wasn't engaging enough. It had nothing to do with the dark start of the story either, since I had just finished 'One Moment' and I was in for an emotional ride there too.

I mean, your friend is dying, you're in a new place you only see in your dreams, you must be terrified, confused, not finding a dining room then decide everything else can wait till you eat. Who reacts like that in a similar situation? I don't even think she was curious about the right things.

The first few pages actually reminded me so much of 'Silver Knight' that I was excited, it was similar, but not exactly the same obviously. So I continued reading. The cover is brilliant, and the writing is actually not bad. I'd wanted to read a bit in it, and found I was in chapter five so I continued.

I think the story started to look up the second I decided to ignore every ridiculous thing the main character said or thought and the details of the book were not bad so that was a good compensation I guess.

The relationship between Arland and Katriona reminded me a lot of the relationship between Alexander and Diana in Silver Knight. How she'd seen him in her dreams as she grew up, how she didn't even contemplate going out with anyone because she was so consumed with thoughts of him. The only difference between both of them is that in Katriona's dreams Arland always died, whilst in Diana's dreams, Alexander always killed her.

I don't think Katriona had enough time to deal with the whole being the ultimate savior thing. I mean, even if you do see it in your dreams growing up, it's not the natural reaction to go like 'oh hey, they need me, so I will protect them all'. You need to struggle, there has to be a line where you're aware they were dreams, but they were just that: dreams. Yet now you're dealing with the reality of things, that maybe they aren't, you don't just get right into it. Something like what Emma felt in 'Once Upon a Time' when she was told she's the savior of the town. Or Alice in Wonderland the movie. Something drastic has to happen for you to finally believe and actually want to fight for these random strangers you'd only just met a day ago, especially after having spent most of the day sleeping.

To be honest there's a huge improvement after the 11th chapter as the dark mood lifts a bit to actual activity and things happening not just Kate's thoughts. to be honest by the time I reached chapter 14 - yes I survived that long - the book had looked up a lot. I was actually looking forward to what was going to happen next!

I know from the start of the book I was thinking I'd give it 2.5 as a rating, but to be honest, the huge improvement by the time I was done gives it a whole extra point so it's 3.5! It was amazing by the times I finished and I couldn't wait to know what happens next. This is definitely a good read, if it wasn't for the first few chapters and some of the protagonists weird reactions I'd have given it a 5, sadly as much as I ignored it I couldn't pretend it wasn't there at all.


Rating: 3.5/5

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this book later this week. Sounds like I may not like it as much as I'd hoped, but at least it picks up toward the end. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it does pick up, plus, we might think differently about it, hopefully you'll enjoy it! I am reading book two now :)

      Delete