Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Blog tour, Review: The Dream Slayer

Title: The Dream Slayer
Author:  
Goodreads Synopsis:

When your dreams come true, sometimes you get more than you bargained for...

Natalie Johnson has always dreamed she’s someone else; calm, beautiful, in control. A chosen warrior with a maniacal arch nemesis and a dreamy boyfriend, the type that can make your knees melt and your heart quiver.

Real life is much different. She’s tormented by a bully and endures the sharp tongue of her father, but finds solace in her dreams.

When her bully ends up dead, de ja vu from a dream hits her hard as everything around her begins to fall apart.

Whatever killed Sarah in her dreams is now in reality, hunting her from the shadows. And it wants her dead.

Somehow as the lines between reality and nightmare blur, Natalie must discover hidden strength to pull her friends and family back from the brink of madness.




Review:


This book was another choice made due to my obsession with the cover. It was so pretty and I had the whole ‘dream’ theme going for me so I just continued. The book was way better than I had expected, and the idea was new and unique.

It reminded me of another movie I had watched but for the life of me I can’t remember the name. It was pretty cool, not the exact one so that was great. The idea of simultaneously having two worlds out there, one in your dreams in which you are the heroine and a demon slayer at that. The other one from hell, where you look like hell and are brutally bullied by one of the popular kids in school. 

Natalie’s subconscious works in a mysterious way, making the dream world and her real word collide to an extent that it affected everyone’s dreams, making their nightmares become a reality. The way Natalie found difficulty to resign herself to the situation in hand, that she is indeed a vampire/demon slayer, that she is indeed the creator of those nightmares, and that she is the only savior was brilliant. It was very realistic and the style of the author got you into  the head of the protagonist. Jill Cooper’s debut novel was a bit rough in some parts but more than compensated for it in execution and concept.

I really liked Tristan’s character. He’s the perfect bestfriend I personally never got the chance to have in highschool, and maybe if I did have someone similar to him my time there would have been much more enjoyable. If you know anything about my writings you’d know I wrote a book, and in it I did have characters called both ‘Damien’ and ‘Tristan’ and in mines, they both actually fought for the main character, but in my case Damien won. In Natalie’s it’s still not certain, since this book is a series and I’m still in book one.

It was such a relief to finally read a book I completely love – not as much as Cinder for reasons I will not embark on right now – but close enough. Definitely a great read and would recommend it.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment