Sunday, July 8, 2012

Book tour, Review: Dreamwalker

Title: Dreamwalker
Author:  

Goodreads Synopsis:

Noel Kennedy lost her boyfriend, her job and her dignity all in one week. Then something happened and she began to dream of this stranger she had never met. She couldn’t resist the man of her dreams named Jared especially when she met him in real life. Entranced, she slowly unraveled a world she was meant to stay out of. Her life was not what she thought it was once a sexy Boone stepped into the mix and shook things up. Can she escape a life of servitude or immortality for a chance at love?



Review:



As it has obviously become clear now, I am usually lured into books by their covers. I know it’s not a good thing to judge a book by its cover but I am an artist, it comes with the territory. So yes, I chose this book for its spectacular cover. Honestly I was just sitting there staring in awe at it and automatically joined the tour!


The next step was me checking out the goodreads synopsis, which again, sounded absolutely brilliant! I had really wanted to read the book after that and nothing was going to stop me.

The idea of the story was very creative and unique; the execution on the other hand was not.  As much as I dearly enjoyed the story, I hated the writing. The style was not the least bit inviting and gave the wrong impression. To be honest when I started I had thought the book was about a bunch of teenagers, only to be surprised by the fact that they were supposed to be working and living on their own in apartments, boy was that a huge shock to me. Not to mention, I felt it was more of online chat than anything. The story held so much potential and I was very disappointed. I was contemplating stopping my reading process a few times, but decided to continue nonetheless. Since I was indeed interested in it. I just disliked the style. And the style is actually of a huge importance to me. I really would stop a great book if the style didn’t come to my liking, and it had nothing to do with errors. The style of writing was more colloquial than actually formal enough for the narrative style whether or not it’s narrative or in the first person.

I felt that the characters were all well chosen, but writing-wise they weren't well developed. 
I mean, her grieving doesn’t add up, I think it would have been better in third person than first person. The way the author had written about it hadn’t been realistic, or maybe it’s the style? I was a bit detached from the main character, even though it was in first person, I want to feel their pain since that is the main reason for a first person writing. There’s lots of redundancy and accidental rhyming.

The first part of the story is what bugged me the most. The rest was ok I guess, but I absolutely hated the first part. This is not how one ends a three year old relationship. No matter what, if you stayed that long with someone, unless recently the other person has shown a lack of interest, it’s not the way to go at all. Brad must have cared at some point about her, and showed more tact and concern of her well being and the way she’d react to him breaking up with her. Obviously it was a superficial relationship, not good enough to last a few days let alone three years! I still don’t get the whole changing her lock part.

There were loads of clichés. It’s hard to get into the mood of the book, the way she acts is unrealistic, for someone who’s supposedly her age. Though I guess the details were not bad I did like that. She got over the breakup sooner than I thought she would, since she was very dramatic about it, you’d think that it would take a while, with or without the mystery man in her dreams. 


Another thing that bugged me was when she claimed she had a 'disastrous encounter with Pete'. DISASTROUS? There was barely an encounter! I mean, come on, nothing happened, she didn’t argue or fight or get a chance to explain, how can it be considered as disastrous! Honestly!

“Work went crazy, Pete fired me and I feel all weird and lethargic,” I said.

But yeah, after the whole easily gotten over break-up, I started enjoying the book a bit more. I love the colorful characters, the hidden abilities behind each one. Hell, I don't usually enjoy this, but I liked having the love triangle and struggle with her. I know I might have complained a lot about it, but I still loved the idea and the cover and the story itself!

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Review!
    I just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!(: You can learn more about it here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there,

    You have received the Versatile Blogger Award! Congrats on your great blog! You can collect your award here:
    http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/2012/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Thanks,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete