Saturday, July 21, 2012

Review: Nordic Fairies

Title: Nordic Fairies
Author: 

Goodreads Synopsis:

What would you do if your lover since a thousand years back in time reappeared after two years apart as a famous movie star, and you couldn't get to him?

Svala and Viggo have spent a hundred lives together over the last thousand years. As Liosálfar, Nordic light fairies, their job is to do good and to uphold a balance in the mortal world. A balance, often compromised by the Döckálfar, Nordic dark fairies.

In this life, Svala turns on her TV and learns that Viggo has become a popular movie star. This is not only highly unexpected, it indicates something is wrong and that Viggo is attempting to contact Svala before their assignments are carried out, an action which is strictly forbidden.

Svala seeks him out, but not without breaking a few rules of her own, and learning that things are not always as they seem.



This is the first part of the Novella Series Nordic Fairies. The second part Freja (Nordic Fairies, #2) was released in March 2012 and the third part, Döckálfar (Nordic Fairies, #3) will be released during the summer 2012. So far, a total of five parts are planned in the Nordic Fairies series.

Nordic Fairies is a low fantasy novella series with a new concept of fairies where Saga Berg introduces Nordic light and dark fairies, Liosálfar and Döckálfar in a contemporary setting. The series has been very well received by readers in all ages with high ratings and amazing reviews.




Review:



This novella was given to me by the author in exchange for an honest request, and since I almost never say no to review requests – the synopsis didn’t sound so bad either – I said yes. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting this book to turn out the way it did. I don’t mean that in a bad way though. The idea was again somewhat close to ‘Silver Knight’ yet completely different.

I honestly thought the cover was pretty cool, and I am a huge fan of foreign names so I enjoyed the names the author had used, being Swedish herself I guess that helped with adding background to the characters. Too bad it was short though, I honestly would have liked it better had it been longer.

What I didn’t like was the fact the author didn’t explain much on how ‘Svala’ and ‘Viggo’ became fairies. More background stories, or how the system worked, would have been preferable but it was all summarized in my opinion not adding depth to the character. However, I guess since it was a novella, the author didn’t have much of a chance to do so, and the next one is said to shed more light on their history so I can’t wait to read that.

All in all, a very enjoyable novella. It was a quick and easy read, which is always a good thing in my book. Can’t wait to figure out who Freja is!

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment