Thursday, July 12, 2012

Review: Talented

Title: Talented
Author:  

Goodreads Synopsis:

If you always knew what people were really thinking, would you consider it a gift or a curse?

Talia Lyons is Talented. Born after a nuclear spill, she is part of a new generation that possesses special abilities; Talia can read the minds of others and manipulate their thoughts. Whether Morphers, Light Manipulators or Telekinetics, the Talented are taught to control their abilities under the protective eye of the government- to use their Talents for good. But all Talia wants is revenge.

Talia joins the Hunters, an elite group of government operatives, hoping to one day kill Ian Crane - the man who ordered the execution of her parents. Ever since she witnessed their brutal deaths, Talia has spent her life honing her abilities, determined to settle the score. But she still has a lot to learn before she can ease the pain inside. Talia turns to a boy who can mimic her Talents, a boy who truly understands her inner turmoil. But even he can’t help Talia, when she’s forced to choose between saving herself and avenging the lives of her parents.


Talented is an action-packed adventure, about a group of teenagers who aren't afraid to embrace their fears and fight for what they believe in. 



Review:


The idea of the book reminded me a bit of the movie ‘Push’. Not that it’s a bad thing, at all. I had absolutely loved the movie and enjoyed it, just as much as I enjoyed this book. The cover changed to be honest; I do prefer the new one. Though I guess it’s not as attractive as it could have been, this book is one of the rare books I’ve actually chosen according to the synopsis, which was very intriguing. Just like I’d said before, the idea sounded amazing so I chose to ask for a copy to read, and the book didn’t disappoint.

I love how much actual thought was put into writing this book, the idea and how it was developed, and the different kinds of  ‘Talents’ the author had come up with. The details in creating this new world in the future were brilliant. The explanation of the different consequences of the nuclear spill was inspired in combination with the aftermaths and the ‘TOXIC’ government agencies. It was like a new twist to X-Men (a series of movies I also love so much).

Though Talia’s character was happier than I had expected. I was given the impression she would be gloomy, detached, more to herself than anything else. She had this hatred inside her, the pain of losing her parents and seeing it happen. I know she said she couldn’t make friends and she said she was unable to be happy or communicate well with others. But that wasn’t the impression I had gotten.

Donavan’s character was a bit confusing though. I mean, Joey in One Moment, appeared to be such a cad, I could sense it way before it had become obvious, and frankly I hadn’t understood how the main character hadn’t. But Donovan, he was such an amazing person, he treated her like a younger sister up until they had become romantically involved, and even then he appeared to really love her. Which obviously didn’t add up, I mean, if he cared that much he wouldn’t have hurt her thusly, or even continued when Erik beat him up. I personally wanted to do more than destroy his cabin.

Erik was my favourite character to be honest. I totally loved the way he evolved throughout the book. The way he cared about Talia was adorable.

So to sum it up, an amazing read and I really would recommend it.

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good read! To be clear, is there any romance? I must have romance in the books I read, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, yes there is. To be honest same here! :D

      Delete