Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: Wilde's Army

Title: Wilde's Army
Author:  


Goodreads Synopsis:

“Hello, Katriona.”

Those two words spark fear in Katriona Wilde and give way to an unlikely partnership with Perth, the man she’s been traded to marry for a favor. Saving her true love and protector Arland, her family, and their soldiers keeps her motivated, but the at-odds duo soon realizes trust is something that comes and goes with each breath of Encardia’s rotting, stagnant air. The moment when concern for her missing sister spirals out of control, all thoughts of trust are pushed aside and she finds herself trapped by the daemon tricks Perth warned her of.

However, rescuing those she loves is only half the problem.

Kate still must get to Willow Falls, unite her clashing people, and form an army prepared to fight in order to defeat Darkness. When so many she’s grown fond of die along the journey, her ability to play by the gods’ rules is tested.

How will she make allies when the world appears stacked against her? And will she still be Katriona Wilde, the girl with fire?



Review:

As I mentioned with book one, Wilde's Fire, I love the covers. But the more I read, the more I realized the significance of the colors in them; why Wilde's fire was blue, and why this one is yellow. It just hit me and I really appreciate the purpose of it all.

I should start off by saying this book was a big improvement on the last one. Not that the first one was bad, but if you read my review here you'd realize the other book didn't have such a great start with Katriona in the first person. It was mainly due to her reaction to things and how she dealt with this new world she was thrust into. But it had looked up after the initial entrance into the world, and since this book just continues from there, it was good.

I never mentioned this with the first book, but the author did a great job in creating the world of 'Encardia' their lives, and the darkness they live in. I enjoyed reading how that was developed, and the species they were divided into - even the demons.

The book takes off from where it had ended in book one, with Katriona alone except for Perth as the rest have been abducted by demons. She needs to trust her surroundings and understand who betrayed them. So her mission to fulfill her prophecy starts, and her journey to form an army to save Encardia.

Their were a few minor quirks I still did not like, but still, the book was great. I enjoyed reading about the voyage to Willow Falls and the rescue mission. I really enjoyed how much Katriona has grown, even she admits it, her abilities, her confidence, her leadership skills, and her love for her people and Arland. I am still not fond of Brit or their mother, but I did really like Perth. I actually never thought him that bad in book one as they had portrayed him, and only grew to sympathize with him more in this book. I am sad I didn't get to see more of the dynamics between Kate and Flanna, but due to the loss and hardship of the journey I guess the book has evolved as well.

I really enjoyed reading this book and finished it in no time, which goes great with the fact that is comes out today actually. I can't wait for the third one to be out! To see the end of the story and how Katriona fulfills her prophecy in saving Encardia.

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment