Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Blog Tour, Review: 29 and a half reasons

Title: Twenty-Nine and a half Reasons
Author:  

Goodreads:

When Rose reports for Fenton County jury duty she figures she’s lucky to get out of a morning working at the DMV. Instead, despite a disastrous encounter with the new assistant district attorney, Mason Deveraux, she’s picked as a juror on a murder case. As the trial progresses, she realizes an ominous vision she had in the men’s restroom proves the defendant is innocent. And there’s not a cotton picking thing she can do about it.

Or is there?

As if things weren’t bad enough, Rose’s older sister Violet is going through a mid-life crisis. Violet insists that Rose stop seeing her sexy new boyfriend, Arkansas state detective Joe Simmons and date other men. Rose is done letting people boss her around, but she can’t commit to Joe either. Still, Rose isn’t about to let the best thing in her life slip away.



Review:

I am very disappointed to say I didn't read book one. Why? Because the book is hilarious, and I can only imagine how funny book one was! I am honestly trying to get my hands on it right now to read it, even though I'm going backwards in the series, but alas, I've done it before. A lot.

Now, what did I think of the cover? Amazing! And the title too was pretty inspired, especially as it goes from Twenty-Eight and a half wishes which was the name of book one. You know how in Harry Potter it's 'Platform 9 and 3/4'? Well, I think the half here added the same intriguing effect the 3/4 had done whilst reading Harry Potter.

So let's get to the book.

Rose has been trying to go on with her life, now that the whole debacle with her mother's murder and her nearly dying was done with. She is having reservations about moving in with her new 'boyfriend', who also happened to have been an undercover cop, who may have attempted to implant evidence in her house to frame her for murder, which explained the fact that he'd lied about everything he'd told her about himself. But it's all in the past now, she's free, the murderer was killed, she has a boyfriend... well and a very overbearing sister and jury duty that play havoc on her life. Why? Well, her sister doesn't like her boyfriend and is determined to break them up, and jury duty... well suffice it to say she couldn't not stick her nose where it shouldn't have been. Basically, her life is upside down in all possible manners, and she doesn't know how to fix it. Oh and she nearly dies, again, but what's new with that?

Has any of you read To Die For by Linda Howard? Or Drop Dead Gorgeous? Well, you should, honestly! Now, why am I bringing them up? They were basically my first books into Mystery and Crime and I enjoyed the quirky character of Blair Mallory. I loved that book, just as much as I loved this one. I seriously enjoyed all her insane moments, and how she was never far from trouble, the author's style was very simple, easy and hilarious at times. I loved Rose's character - even though she was considered strange I enjoyed every second of it, and agree with Joe that she's special.

The crime side of the book was just as great as the rest of it, and found I found myself completing the whole thing even though I was only supposed to be reading two or three chapters - so yes, a quick read.

Anyhow, I would definitely recommend it! Although, you should read it after reading book one - yes I am working on getting a copy of the first one as soon as I can manage.

Rating: 5/5

1 comment: