Friday, September 7, 2012

Blog Tour, Review: Telesa -The Covenant Keeper

Title: Telesa - The Covenant Keeper
Author: 
ISBN: 1466253711


Goodreads Synopsis:

When Leila moves to her new home, all she wants is a family, a place to belong. Instead she discovers the local ancient myths of the telesa spirit women are more than just scary stories. The more she finds out about her heritage, the more sinister her new home turns out to be. Embraced by a Covenant Sisterhood of earth's elemental guardians - what will Leila choose? Her fiery birthright as a telesa? Or will she choose the boy who offers her his heart? Daniel - stamped with the distinctive tattoo markings of a noble Pacific warrior and willing to risk everything for the chance to be with her. Can their love stand against the Covenant Keeper? 

A thriller-romance with a difference. If you enjoyed Twilight, then you will be enthralled by Telesa as it blends the richness of Pacific mythology into a contemporary young adult love story that will stay with you long after you have turned the final page.


Review:

The book kicks off with Leila, a girl who has lost her father, who in her opinion was the only family she'd had. Sure she had her grandmother and uncle, but by no means did they appear loving. She suffers a lot in his absence and decides to do the one thing he made her promise not to do on his deathbed. Go home. But Leila wants to understand her roots and so, defying both her dad's wishes and her grandmother's ranting, she leaves. As she hopes the fresh start at the land she was born in would help her find herself and maybe get a family, she realizes not all is what it seems, and that the hopes of finding family even here might not work out. She is forced to abide by certain - and very strange - rules her uncle and aunt had put out for her, including going back to school. There she's intrigued by the many weird happenings, but also gets to meet Daniel. Things seem to be going fine and she's finally made friends, even had a crush! All until Leila's mother suddenly comes back in the picture. Nafanua says all the right things to attract a daughter who's lost her only family and is relieved to know she has a mother still among the living. Little does she know about the secrets of her heritage, the one she'd been seeking out in her journey back to Samoa, and how destructive it can be. Not to mention how it would effect her relationship with the only guy she was ever interested, especially when his grandmother seems adamant that she's not the right girl for him.

I seriously loved the prologue! It had me hooked from the start, I mean when the first paragraph goes like this:

"No... please... how to stop it? How can I stop it?" I burst into useless tears. Tears that fizzed and hissed in a heartbeat of heat. No amount of crying would help no. I wrung my hands, no way out of it. It was hopeless. In a few minutes I would be a mass murderer. A killer. In my mind's eye, I could see it now. People on fir running in circles, frantically beating at the hungry flames. The smell of flesh scorching, peeling off ashy bone. Screams. Pleas for help. I sank to my knees, drained dry of strength. Unwilling to watch the carnage but unable to take my eyes away. I was drowning in a sea of fiery despair. Suffocating in a red night of terror.

So, clearly, I was eager to know what the heck is going on and rushed to read the book! I was not so fond of the heroine at first, she seemed to overreact to everything and was overly annoying. Sometimes I honestly felt like punching her, the way she thinks is rather strange. The story changed drastically from the start, the heroine improved - a bit - enough to tolerate the story, which in itself was amazing! I've been reading different genres for a while now, so this one had come to my liking. But the more I read the more I couldn't stop and am looking forward to the next book in the series - hoping it would live up.

I enjoyed learning more about Samoa, the culture, and the contrast for the protagonist. I enjoyed the struggle with pain over the loss of a parent but the eagerness to surpass it by getting to know more about their roots. The suffering, the new surrounding and culture seem to be overwhelming to Leila at first, but dealing with all that drama, as well as falling in love and discovering the mysteries behind who she is, a trip she had never anticipated she'd have to take on her journey here. Not to mention the adventure she's thrust into. A really great read with an easy and flowing writing!

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I actually liked how the heroine wasn't all that likeable at first - trust me, she annoyed me as well - but how she improved as the book progressed. Loved your review!

    ReplyDelete