Sunday, September 23, 2012

Book Tour, Review: Souls in Peril


Hey guys! This is my actual stop. 



Title: Souls In Peril
Author:  
ISBN:10:1478184

Goodreads Synopsis:

Senior Max Sanchez has it all. He's the star pitcher for Port Fare High's baseball team. He's dating the head cheerleader, Emma McKay. He also has a great group of friends.

Junior JD Miller's life isn't nearly as good. Unlike Max, JD struggles with making friends. He's a social misfit. And He's being bullied at every turn. JD is also barely surviving.

A tragic accident changes everything and Max is thrown into JD's world. Will he survive? Will JD? How will this all affect these Souls in Peril?




Review:

I am not sure what I was expecting when I joined this tour, but whatever it was I had it wrong. This book was amazing, and extremely emotional to extents I had not anticipated. But let's just start with the basics. The cover? Absolutely brilliant, main reason I signed up actually. To be honest, I hadn't known how much it fit with the theme of the story until I've read it, it really was brilliant. The title worked in it as well, but the synopsis didn't give much to how emotional the story would turn out to be.

This book is about Max Sánchez, who basically has it all. He has the perfect life, perfect friends, teammates, parents, home life, girlfriend, and body. His perfect life however ends before he knows it, and even though it was an 'error' he could still play out the rest of his life if he can help JD out. JD was the opposite of Max in every possible way. He had a perfect nothing, except the knack of getting beaten up by almost everyone around him. His school life was a terror, his home life was a terror, even the bus rides and the walks home were a terror. To add to that, he was being blamed for killing everyone's beloved Max and his family. Izzy, JD's best friend was having an equally awful life, so there was no one to help either. At first, Max thinks it would be easy helping JD out, all the kid needed was to lose some weight and shower once in a while, little did he know about how hard JD's life really is. Max is struck by a hard reality as he watches everything that was in his life through the eyes of JD and discovers how easy he'd had it and lucky he had been. He thrives on helping JD out, even if it killed him - metaphorically speaking, since he already is dead.

I cried a lot throughout this book. Even with the paranormal part of it, but still, seeing everything JD had to go through was absolutely awful and it wasn't just Max who felt for the kids, I did too. Bullying can be in all forms and shapes, I've been through my share and loathed it, but mine was nothing in comparison to what he went through so I couldn't say I understood. Even poor Izzy, I hated what she went through.  I absolutely adored Emma, she really was the perfect girl for Max. Although I hated Max at first, found him cocky and arrogant, seeing him in JD's head made me like him even more, he really was a decent guy, otherwise I am guessing Emma would have left him sooner.

I seriously hated the part where Max died and was given his assignment. I don't know, I am ok with people playing out the part after life, just as long as there's no mention of God and stuff, that usually ticks me off. So, after that part passed, it was easy to get back into the theme of the book.

I honestly don't think I was in such an emotional roller-coaster reading a book since 'One Moment' which really was a terribly emotional book. This book was almost as bad. I didn't cry as much, but was emotionally invested in the story and couldn't stop till it was over. The writing helped stay in the mood and the story was great. I absolutely loved it!

Rating: 4.5/5

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your review and for being part of the blog tour! Again, a very heart-felt thank you!

    ReplyDelete