Friday, September 14, 2012

Review: Between the Land and The Sea


Guess what guys? This is book one of my ARR program! Well, by that I mean the first out of nine books I have to read and complete by Friday the 21st of September as I mentioned yesterday in my from the review pile. I am honestly hoping I can manage all 9 books this week! I'll probably have to read more than one book a day for this to happen or so, but I seriously need this!



Title: Between the Land and the Sea
Author: 
ASIN: B004SYA76Q

Goodreads Synopsis:

Marina is a privileged girl who’s had an unusual upbringing. Traveling the world with her scientist father, doted on by her wealthy and glamorous neighbor Evie, Marina’s life seems perfect.
Everything changes in the summer of her sixteenth year when she is sent to live with her Aunt Abby and Cousin Cruz in the lovely seaside town of Aptos, California. 
Only a few weeks after arriving, sixteen year-old Marina has nearly drowned twice, enchanted the hottest guy in high school, and discovered a supernatural creature. If she can manage to survive some increasingly dangerous encounters with unpredictable mermaids, she might be able to unlock the mystery of her past and appease the mysterious forces that want something from her... 
And maybe even find true love along the way.


Review:

I have no idea why it took me this long to read this book! I mean sure, I had a summer job, a lot of book tours and family traveling in and out of the country. But still! Look at the cover? Isn't it fantastic? I absolutely fell in love with it! The rest of the covers in the series are equally as amazing. See?



I just want to stare at them all day. That and well, read them as well.

Anyhow, the book talks about Marina, a girl who's so used to traveling the world with her father until one day he heads of to Afghanistan and thinks this time it would be dangerous to take her along. Marina isn't happy about it, but her dad had put his foot down, so she's forced to spend that year with her aunt and cousin. As she starts her life there she realizes two things; one, all the surfer kids - except Ethan- are jerks; two, there was some strange creature in the sea. Even though she nearly drowns more than once, Marina is still drawn to the creature in the sea. Her cousin Cruz and his best friend Megan, try to discourage her, but she's determined to know more about this creature in the sea, especially when the creature implies Marina might be one of them. Problem is, that's not all they'd want, and Marina is scared that they'd hurt someone she loves to get to her. How can she stop that? And the terrifying nightmares that have been making her sleepwalk every night? Can Ethan help her? Or would that just put him in danger too?

I love mermaids. And Ariel of all things is my absolute favourite. Seriously. I loved that cartoon as a kid and have been into the idea of them even with how they're described in Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean. I know some legends show them in any other form but the complimentary one, but I choose to go with the one involving Ariel. So, the more I read this book the more I was drawn into it. It is such a great summer read! I love the idea of the ocean and sea creatures - even mystical ones. I lived right infront of the sea in Kuwait so I had a lovely view every morning. However, I was terrified of sharks -still am- so it's the main reason I stopped swimming for a while. Therefore I can't understand how Marina would still go into the water after nearly drowning more than once.

The characters were really great, though I'd personally love an aunt 'Evie' too! One who'd pamper me with expensive clothes and cars and such. Although I don't care for them that much, but who hates being pampered? I like the idea of Ethan. A hardworking boy who wants to be independent, he is responsible , nice and very friendly. I love how he worries about Marina when she nearly drowns even though he barely knew her at the time. He was  a nice contrast to Cruz, who I also loved. His relationship with Marina was amazing, too bad I don't have similar relationships with my cousins!

The writing was good, the style was flowing and easy, and the events were intriguing. The story did remind me a bit of 'Telesa - The Covenant Keeper' which I had reviewed recently. But the protagonists seemed to have opposite powers to the ones in this book, plus it was a slightly different setting. But I think this one was a bit more my style, I really enjoyed it!

Now, I'll have to get my hands on the other three books! I just hope they're just as good.

Rating: 3.5/5


*NEXT ON THE LIST: THE DOORKNOB SOCIETY*

No comments:

Post a Comment