Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Review: Bite Me

Hey! This is another book from my recent NetGalley review pile clean-up. I quite enjoyed this book and I can't wait to read book two. Though my pace is seriously slow due to university, I am skipping tomorrow and hoping I can accomplish something by then.




Title: Bite Me
Author: Parker Blue
ISBN: 0980245389
Copy From: NetGalley

Goodreads Synopsis:

Life after high school is tough enough without having to go 15 rounds with your inner demon. Val Shapiro is just your ordinary, part-demon, teenaged vampire hunter with a Texas drawl. And a pet hellhound named Fang. Soon enough she finds herself deep in the underbelly of the city, discovering the secrets of the Demon Underground and fighting to save those she loves. Whether they love her back or not.

Buy now:

Review:

I had requested this book from NetGalley for two reasons. One, the cover was amazing. Two, I loved the title. Sure, the synopsis was good, but it was mainly the other two that had me interested in reading some more about it.

Val Shapiro has a tough life. She hunts vampires, she's home-schooled and has no friends, her parents prefer her younger sister to her... oh and she's part demon. To satisfy her inner succubus, Val needs to hunt a vampire every now and then, which happens to help calm down said demon - Lola. One day whilst she's out on the usual hunt, killing a vampire and whatnot, he sister hides in the backseat and tags along. Not only that, but she's caught, by a cop trying to dispose of the body. To make matters worse, her parents are sick of her sister wanting to tag along in her lifestyle that they fire her from her job, and kick her out of the house... on her birthday. As she thinks life has sunk to a new low, with no family anymore, she wonders around and comes across a special dog, Fang. She then calls the cop who'd caught her asking for a job and he delivers, in addition to that he finds her a place to stay. Life was looking up! That is, until she goes out to investigate a ring of vampires haunting the area and killing innocents, only to find that every vampire out there knows who she is, and that she is a vampire slayer - a courtesy of her sister's stupidity. On the bright side, she realizes she's not the only half-demon out there, and there might be ways to co-exist with Lola without harming innocents.

I have been in a very vampire-ish mood lately. I am not sure why, but I really have been into the whole theme, from series, to movies and books. So this book fit right into my mood quite well. I quite loved the fact that there were two mythical creatures here and not just one. And a part demon dog? I liked it. I enjoy everyone's particular take on vampires, and Parker's was a bit conventional, but the added demon part to the mix made it unique.

Val was the typical stubborn and independent heroine, always up for a fight and rushes to situations she surprisingly manages quite well. I actually liked her, and didn't find her annoying like most lead women characters who think they can do everything and don't ask for help then end up in ridiculous scrapes. Dan was an okay partner I guess, though the dynamics between Fang and Val were more hilarious and in-sync. Shade is one character I'd love to know more about, and Micah too, as well as Gwen for some reason. I am still wary of Alejandro, and seriously hate Val's mother. I am hoping at some point there's an explanation for how pathetic she is! That and Jen as well, she's one of the stupidest younger sibling characters I've read of. One that doesn't think straight before getting herself into so much trouble - not to mention her sister alongside her. But I guess it all fits into the story.

Parker's writing is quite good, funny at times, serious and emotional at others. It's a quick read and I absolutely enjoyed it!

Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment