Saturday, September 15, 2012

Review: The Doorknob Society

Woohoo! This is number two out of nine, in my ARR program!


Title: The Doorknob Society
Author: 
ASIN: B0077RTCO4

Goodreads Synopsis:

Chloe Masters’s world changed in a heartbeat - and all she did was touch a doorknob. 

When she was young Chloe’s mother vanished. Wracked by feelings of abandonment and anger she lost herself traveling with her father's magic act, where illusions were part of her everyday life. Yet everything changes when they are pursued by a mysterious man in black out to kill her father. Touching a doorknob activates abilities she never knew she had and she finds herself thrust into a world of ancient societies and secrets.

When her father disappears it is a race against time to find answers before she loses what is left of her family. Now Chloe must choose who to trust, the man who will do anything for her or the one she can’t stop thinking about.


Review:

With this book it was actually the name that hooked me! 'The Doorknob Society'? All I could think of was, wow, what's this book about? I mean sure the cover worked for me as well, so did the synopsis, but this is definitely one of the rare books where the title is the most interesting.

The story talks about Chloe, a sixteen year old girl who suddenly discovers her world was never what it had seemed. Her life was simple, she was a magician's daughter, she travelled around the world with her dad - and her mum before she had abandoned them. Sure, she has some issues due to her mother's abandonment and never having a stable home, but she was still an average teenage girl. It all changes when she and her father are being chased in Paris, only to go through a door and come out in the United States. She knows something is off, but can't believe her dad's explanation of 'Doorknob Society', her dad decides to enroll her at Paladin Academy where she's told she'd learn more about said society and make friends with people like her. I mean sure, with hot Michael Slade wanting to be her friend, it couldn't be so bad. Slade's not only hot, but nice and friendly, and every helpful, he's also very interested in her. So why on earth does she find herself thinking of James Nightshade? What with him being a jerk and being one of the guilders who she automatically dislikes. To make things worse, her dad was kicked out of the Doorknob Society, she doesn't know why, only that he's being chased by someone unknown to her and things in that new weird dimension she'd entered are getting dangerous. It obviously doesn't help that there are a lot of secrets out there and she doesn't know who to trust.

The style MJ had used was very simple,  I like that. I also liked the statuses at the start of every chapter, it added a nice touch to the whole thing. I am usually fond of books that start with the first person - and this one was by no means an exception. Though for some reason it brought in mind 'The Night Circus' (for like a minute) but the whole father and daughter magician thing was similar. That and, what is it with me lately and reading books with girls that were left by their parents somewhere then discover they have some sort of super power or weird origins? I mean there's "Telesa- The Covenant Keeper", "Between the Land and The Sea" and now this! It's not that I am complaining, they're all unique and great in their own way, I am just confused about the coincidence of it all.

The Paladin Academy reminds me so much of Hogwarts, and the dislike between some of the different societies in the midst is like the rivalry between Slyterin and Gryffindor. I seriously liked that. This book had so many mysteries and hooks that I couldn't help but read on till I was done! I was very disappointed to finish it since I am dying for book two. I hate that it's a series, because it means there's books 2-5 to wait for. I hope to get a chance to read them all soon!


Rating: 4/5


*NEXT ON THE LIST: THE MOON DWELLERS*

No comments:

Post a Comment