Sunday, September 16, 2012

Review: The Moon Dwellers

Oh wow you guys! I'm managing a book a day so far, I can't believe it! I think one of those days or maybe two of them I'll have to finish two books at a time. University starts off this week and it would sure be great having the ARR program books at least done by then. So yes, this is three out of nine.


Title: The Moon Dwellers
Author: 
ASIN: B008FJV8SQ

Goodreads Synopsis:

In a desperate attempt to escape destruction decades earlier, humankind was forced underground, into the depths of the earth, creating a new society called the Tri-Realms. 

After her parents and sister are abducted by the Enforcers, seventeen-year-old Adele, a member of the middle-class moon dwellers, is unjustly sentenced to life in prison for her parents' crimes of treason.

Against all odds, Adele must escape from the Pen and find her family, while being hunted by a deranged, killing machine named Rivet, who works for the President. She is helped by two other inmates, Tawni and Cole, each of whom have dark secrets that are better left undiscovered. Other than her friends, the only thing she has going for her is a wicked roundhouse kick and two fists that have been well-trained for combat by her father.

At the other end of the social spectrum is Tristan, the son of the President and a sun dweller. His mother is gone. He hates his father. Backed by only his servant and best friend, Roc, he leaves his lavish lifestyle in the Sun Realm, seeking to make something good out of his troubled life.

When a war breaks out within the Tri-Realms, Tristan is thrust into the middle of a conflict that seems to mysteriously follow Adele as she seeks to find her family and uncover her parents true past.

In their world, someone must die.


Review:

I honestly don't know why I didn't read this book right after I got it. I guess it might have to do with the fact that I've had a lot of book tours and work at the time, but I knew this book was worth me requesting it anyway, and guess what? It totally was.

Starting with the basics, the cover, title and synopsis, I'd have to say it's two out of three. I wasn't so fond of the cover - it didn't draw me in like others usually do. But the title and the synopsis made up for it and kept me interested. What turned the minor interest to full-on excitement was the prologue.  The second I was done with it, I was emotionally invested and had to go on reading.

Adele's family was torn apart when Enforcers came in to capture her parents for treason. She fought them off, and ended up in the 'Pen'. She was sentenced for life, and had nothing to look forward to in the hell she was thrust into, her life losing any whisper of hope, until her eyes lock with Tristan - the son of the president of the Tri-Realms- that's when a little thrill is returned to her. Then, to her surprise she makes friends with Tawni and Cole, her world turns from dull and worthless to hopeful in the span of a day. The three friends try to escape and are surprised to find Tristan right on their trail. Why on earth was a Sun Dweller following them? Maybe because the feelings she had when their eyes locked, he had them too, they were strong enough for him to leave his world behind and risk his life, just to make sure she's alright. They then proceed to embark on a journey to save her sister and father, trying to escape the many dangers on the way.


This is such an amazing dystopian novel. Granted, I hadn't expected it to turn out the way it did, but it was even better. The writing was so hooking, so were the details, I could almost feel like I was there, imagining everything Tristan and Adele were going through. The book goes back and forth between the protagonists, giving us insight on both the characters and what's going on through their heads. This book reminded me of so many novels I'd read before - and loved - combined, yet it was also completely different. I don't know how to explain it exactly. It's just one of those books that if you pick it up, you wouldn't be able to put it down until you're done. Which is exactly what happened with me. The background stories added a very real and harsh touch to the reality they were living in, them being lowly Moon Dwellers. I could almost understand what drove them all, and why they hated Tristan. I  was so drawn into their pain and loss, it was so emotional and amazing at the same time.

David's writing is great, too bad book two isn't out yet. I cannot wait to read it! Hopefully it would be just as amazing as this one.

Rating: 4.5/5


*NEXT ON THE LIST: SPRING CLEANING*

No comments:

Post a Comment