Thursday, September 27, 2012

Review: The River Witch


Hey there! Another book off my NetGalley TBR pile done with! Which thankfully is  one of the books I should have read this week.


Title: The River Witch
Author:  
ISBN: 1611941237
Copy From: NetGalley

Goodreads Synopsis:

Broken in body and spirit, she secludes herself in the mystical wilderness of a Georgia island. Can she find herself in the sweetness of old songs, old ways, and the gentle magic of the river people? 

Buy Links:






Review:

This is honestly one book I have absolutely no idea what my feelings on it are. I am so mixed up and did not expect that when I'd first requested it. I mean the cover was stunning and the title had sounded promising. The synopsis didn't reveal much so I was plain curious as to what the  book was about.

Rosalyn Byrnes' life had gone downhill without her expecting it. First was the fact she hadn't seen her grandmother before her death, then she had an accident that cost her her career as a dancer, and in the end she'd lost the baby she was carrying. Things weren't going well and she needed a break of the world, a place or time to discover who she was right now and what to do with her life.

I honestly expected this book to be one of those dealing with a traumatic incident and making it through, something full of hope. I am not sure this book had much when it came to that. It wasn't quite hopeful, it was sad, in a gloomy sort of way. I didn't like how it ended, I didn't like how most of it developed. I was strung along, hoping at some point it would look up. But the writing was rather bleak, the characters didn't have much brightness in them, it's like reading something in shades of gray, no colour added into the mix. There was potential a few times but they never came through. Maybe it's more about how harsh reality is? And that not many things will look up in the end? I don't know. I mean, the premonition was right, she came to the town to find a name for her dead child. But, I didn't get a feel on whether or not she discovers herself, what she'll be doing next, anything.

I disliked the change of point of views between Damascus's and Rosalyn, they were so different, but it only felt worse when it happened. I couldn't relate to the characters and the both had really sad histories to share. I mean, the story itself is not bad, if you're into reality hits and that not many things have a happy ending, just a way to pick up and move on. I am the kind of person who loves hopeful stories though, who appreciates a happy ending - even if the character goes through hell to get there.

Rating: 2/5






Author Bio:

Kimberly Brock is the author ofThe River Witch (April 2012, Bell Bridge Books), a southern mystical work set against the backdrop of the southern Appalachian foothills and the Georgia Sea Islands.

2 comments:

  1. Honest reviews are hard to find but always appreciated. It helps both the author and potential readers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this book does sound boring and plain.
    Maybe they themselves don't know what to write for the blurb cuz they find it boring.

    ReplyDelete