Saturday, September 22, 2012

Review: Taste

OH MY GOD! This is the last book! I know it took me more than seven days, but as I mentioned before, it doesn't matter, all thats matters is limiting my review pile. I mean, there's about three more books in the pile other than this, but they weren't a part of my review pile cleanup list I'd made last week anyway.


Title: Taste
Author:  
ISBN: 1937254550

Goodreads Synopsis:

At Barinkoff Academy, there's only one rule: no students on campus after curfew. Phoenix McKay soon finds out why when she is left behind at sunset. A group calling themselves night students threaten to taste her flesh until she is saved by a mysterious, alluring boy. With his pale skin, dark eyes, and mesmerizing voice, Demitri is both irresistible and impenetrable. He warns her to stay away from his dangerous world of flesh eaters. Unfortunately, the gorgeous and playful Luka has other plans. When Phoenix is caught between her physical and her emotional attraction, she becomes the keeper of a deadly secret that will rock the foundations of an ancient civilization living beneath Barinkoff Academy. Phoenix doesn't realize until it is too late that the closer she gets to both Demitri and Luka the more she is plunging them all into a centuries old feud.

Review:

I have actually wanted to read this book for quite some time. I had heard of it back in April when I had just started blogging and since then I'd wanted to get around to reading  it but never got a chance until I found it as a part of the ARR program on Goodreads. I immediately requested it and I am so glad I did! The cover is absolutely stunning. It's the most thing that attracted me most to the book, the title wasn't bad sure but the cover had me in awe! The problem about the synopsis is - even though it sounded quite good - it felt a lot like Vampire Knight (the Japanese Manga). So I was wary from that side, because at some point that manga turned a bit freaky.

Phoenix knows she's in deep trouble when she oversleeps and misses her curfew. Her academy is known for one strict rule that everyone must abide with - one that no one has broken in centuries - to not miss your curfew. Everyone was forced to be outside the Barinkoff Academy grounds by sunset. Unfortunately for Phoenix she oversleeps in the library and is forgotten. She searches for everyone in the grounds she could bribe to drive her back to the dormitories and not tell anyone about her slight breaking of rule. After all, if she's caught, she gets expelled. 

She finds some kids -who seem to be wearing different uniforms than her own- and tries to ask for help, only to find the looks they gave her suspiciously primal. Phoenix is saved from the dilemma by Demitri who takes her back to the dorms with the promise that she keeps this to herself and doesn't miss a curfew. She nods, but does not promise of course. Meaning, she misses another curfew to know what the hell was going on. This time she's attacked by Calixta after said girl hears that Phoenix was saved the previous day by Demetri. As the chase goes on, Calixta stops in her tracks when she sees Luka and runs off. Phoenix finds herself drawn to the two - apparently non human- boys. Yet, Demitri is determined to teach her a lesson and get her off the grounds, whilst Luka finds himself drawn to her wanting to know more about her.

Phoenix's rabid curiosity doesn't wan as she is determined to know what the hell is going on, no matter how much trouble she goes into even if it involved her nearly dying, a bunch of times.


When I started reading this book for the first few chapters, all I could think of was God, this is like the Vampire Knight, this is so the Vampire Knight, darn, how annoyingly similar it is to Vampire Knight. And that wasn't in a good way either. I mean sure, when it had started it was quite good and I enjoyed Vampire Knight, but then there was the love triangle and after that there was the grossness and incest - which was why I completely stopped with it. But, after chapter five I think, things got really interesting!

The discovering of what species they were had me on the fence because they terrify the hell out of me. I mean vampires I can handle, monsters and even disgusting creatures from out of space I don't mind. But (spoil alert) zombies? That's where I most definitely draw the line. However, even with this discovery I couldn't back down, I was in too deep and engrossed in this story helpless against the draw, I absolutely needed to know what was going to happen next! I kept reading and going onwards.

The amount of details that went into creating that next world and the creatures around, as well as the history and the surroundings were absolutely brilliant. I love a great female lead character, and this was one of them. She wasn't whiny or annoying as most would be when they're thrust into an unknown world but still curious in the right amount. I definitely appreciated that, made her feel more realistic.

I loved Luka's character the most. I found him the most charming and funny character, but at the same time, when matters became serious he was up to the job. It was hard with Demitri, him being soulless then suddenly having feelings and urges again.I hate love triangles, but I tolerated it in this case because it worked well with the theme of the story and it didn't cause a sort of bitter touch. I also loved Luka's sister Yana, and hoped to read more on her. But I did enjoy most thing their names. Calixta, Yana, Phoenix, Darius... they're not common or in most cases usual names.

I did like how the title Taste played a part in the story as well:

Ignoring my indignation, he faced Luka, who'd remained seated on the bench during my exchange with Demitri. "Why is she with you, Luka?"

"I wasn't going to taste her, if that's what you're implying," Luka said. "Although, she is simply delicious. I wouldn't mind if you left us alone."

There it was again. Taste. The word that kept coming up between these Night Students and I was connected to it in an increasingly uncomfortable way. To taste meant to sample, but what? My flesh? They had to be joking because the alternative wasn't funny.

Kate's writing was great, her story - though it started off as a bit of a repeat - certainly didn't end that way. I finished the story in no time and was glad it wasn't a series, because I've had a lot of those to read lately and it's about time reading an amazing book and having it just end there without waiting and all.

Rating: 5/5 !

*Such a great conclusion to ARR week!*

No comments:

Post a Comment