Saturday, October 20, 2012

Demons: Review

Alright so this is the first book off my Review Pile Cleanup of October! Eleven more to go!

Title: Demons
Author: Heather Frost
ISBN: 1462110347 
Book Source: NetGalley
Publication Date: September 11th 2012
Publishing House: Cedar Fort Books


Goodreads Synopsis:

Kate's life is far from normal. She can see Auras, her boyfriend is immortal, and her powers make her a target. But now that the Demon Lord is hunting her, things are about to go from dangerous to truly deadly. Packed with action, mind-blowing plot twists, and characters you can't get enough of, this is a fast-paced, heart-pounding read from cover to cover.

Review:

I practically drooled seeing this cover. It was perfect for my cover-lust. The synopsis sadly didn't give away much so I was left intrigued by the book and found myself requesting it. I also had to get a copy of book one - since I noticed it's the second in the series. So I had to read it before starting on this one, that's when I got the picture more of what this book was talking about.

The story picks up from where it left off in book one, Seers, as Kate is coming to terms with what she is, what her grandfather was, and what her new boyfriend is. Not to mention the ongoing fight between Guardians and Demons over Seers. Which meant she was in the middle of this fight and in constant danger, she and everyone else she knows. There's still the mystery of the death phenomena as well as the new development in Guardians catching diseases, there's a new kind of peril going on and Kate wants to offer her help as much as she can, even though it might cause her more damage than she anticipates.

As I've mentioned before, I am wary of reading Historical books. Even though this one doesn't fall under that genre exactly, but the prologue at the start of this book and the first book was set in the late 1700's. Which meant the author had to try her hand in writing that. I did not like it one bit. It's hard to portray such an old period of time, especially since it was meant to be based in Ireland, meaning she had to put two things in mind:
                              1- The terms and atmosphere back in the day.
                              2- The specific dialect used in Ireland at the time.

Being so young I guess the author didn't succeed in that part. Although it's hard to pay much attention to that since it's only the prologue and not the entire story, for me however, it was a poor start and hard to get interested again in continuing the book. I did manage it though and read on.

I had honestly hoped this book would be an improvement to the first one. It wasn't by much sadly. It held so much potential! The whole Demons and Guardians conflict with Seers thrown in the mix. Sure, the ideas weren't 100% new, but it was a creative take on the old ones and I had enjoyed that for a bit. The switch between points of views was a good touch because at some point I was sick of Kate and welcomed Patrick's view on things.

At the start of book one Kate seemed like one of those rare female role leads that I'd actually like. She was suffering from her parents' death, she still had some bruises and pains from the accident, she didn't know herself anymore and her interests have changed. I got that, and loved it. I loved how no matter how much she tried for things to go back to normal, especially with her boyfriend, they didn't. Not because I hate a happy ending, but because it was realistic. I was hoping she'd break up with him, be nice to the poor guy who was the perfect boyfriend for so long, and give him a chance to be happy with someone else, give him a chance to get over her, because from the sounds of it whatever they had she didn't feel it anymore, and he was suffering along the way with hopes their relationship would go back to normal.

However, the more I read on, the more Kate turned into the exact female role I most hated, whiney, annoying, asking stupid questions at the worst possible times, impulsive and selfish, it got so frustrating with her. The worst thing however was the fact that, even though she was absolutely certain she no longer felt the way she wanted with Aaron, she refused to break up with him because she was hoping it would help keep a shred of normalcy in her life and dating him was something consistent with that. That is, until she fell in love with another guy. Then, she of course didn't mind breaking the poor guy's heart - one she claimed to love deeply - and parade around happily with her new boyfriend. How messed up is this?

My favourite character in the book would definitely have to be Patrick. He was a serene presence and seemed more realistic and plausible than Kate. He was also very likable and I enjoyed getting inside his head for the parts the book was played from his point of view. Though I guess Toni wasn't half bad either, I liked his character, heck, even Lee was better in my opinion than Kate. I Think the book looked up quite a bit once Patrick took the reigns as the story was told in his point of view, somewhere around the eighth chapter maybe? That and, things started moving faster, things were happening, they weren't just in an impasse going on dates and meeting the family, no there was action, demon hunting, moving about and the pace picked up, it was so ridiculously slow before that. But then it switched back to her point of view and the pace slowed again.

I was so disappointed because the writing in itself was quite good, the author had a great style I quite enjoyed, yet I hated how hard it was for me to completely finish this book, or even be interested in it enough.

Rating: 2/5


Author Bio:


I was born in Sandy, Utah, a few days before Halloween in 1989. I lived in Salt Lake City until I was about six, and then I moved North and settled into the place I still call home. I'm the second child of ten, and I absolutely love being the big sister.
I can't remember a time when I didn't enjoy reading, and I did a lot of it. I also dabbled in writing when I was young, though nothing serious until I entered the teenage years. Becoming an author is a dream come true! 
I attended Snow College, and there got the best job ever as a writing tutor. I graduated in May 2011 with my Associate of Science, and am currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science as an English Major. 
I love movies, music, and books—although I do think that the dumbest question on the planet is the whole “What's your favorite book/music/movie?” The best answer I've come up with is, “Whatever I'm reading, listening to, or watching at the time.” Generally, it's an accurate answer. 
I love the smell of lilacs, wet cement, and freshly cut grass. I love brownies, rain, and curling up with a good book.


Author Links:

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry you didn't like the book and that it was a disappointment. I wouldn't have liked Kate either from what you've said though.

    Rebecca @ Vicariously!

    ReplyDelete