Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lady's Choice: Review

Title: Lady's Choice
Author: Amanda Scott
ISBN: 0446616699
Copy From: NetGalley

Goodreads Synopsis:

Lady Sorcha Macleod is certain that the man her sister Adela loves, the dashing Scottish Knight Templar Sir Hugo Robinson, is the masked rider who kidnaps Adela on her wedding day. When she learns he is not, she sets off to rescue Adela with Hugo in hot pursuit. On the road with the irrepressible Sorcha, Hugo soon discovers a woman of fire and beauty, a woman he longs to touch and taste-but his honor forbids it, because he is bound by his vow to marry Adela. As a cruel mastermind plots to steal the Templars' storied treasure and keep Adela for himself, Sorcha and Hugo will risk everything, even their own destiny, to save her and to protect the Templars' long-held secret.

Buy Now:  Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Review:

The cover of this book was basically magnificent. I absolutely adored it and it was the main reason why I'd requested this book in NetGalley. I also enjoyed the synopsis and the title sounded interesting.

Sorcha wanted to save her sister from an arranged marriage by sending a letter to the one man her sister, Adela, had mentioned repeatedly after encountering. Thinking this would help bring both of them to get together, Sorcha let everyone know about the letter to Sir Hugo. Sadly, Hugo does not come in time to rescue her sister from said marriage. He does however join the search party going after her sister after she was kidnapped. Sorcha, not being invited to join the search party, decides to take her younger sister and go by themselves to search for Adela. Hugo, knowing this leaves his team and heads off to make sure they're safely returned home, but can't manage to convince the headstrong Sorcha to abandon her search.

Little did I know that this book was the fourth in the Templars series, so obviously some character references and previous events I didn't get. I also hadn't known this book was based in the 1300's. I haven't read much from this period, but I always make it a point to read historical books only from the 1800's because Regency are my favourites. This was not, and since it was based on Highlands, it wasn't my cup of tea.

I wholeheartedly disliked the main character - Sorcha. As much as I tried to understand her or find any of her actions reasonable, I didn't. I found her very childish, immature, arrogant, obnoxious and very rash - bordering on stupid. I mean, who sends a letter to a man they have not seen just because her sister mentioned him several times, after encountering him only twice - having insulted him or humiliated him both times - expecting him to come and break up the marriage? Not only that, but being confronted by said man, after telling him he has tarnished her sister's reputation by not coming to her aid, she slaps him for daring to point the blame of any harm to her sisters reputation on her, since she was the one who told everyone about the letter, she was the one loudly implicating her sister. I was sincerely disappointed after the few times Hugo threatened to take her over his knee yet didn't. She had no sense whatsoever, and then to go and attempt to save her sister with the aid of her littler sister? SERIOUSLY? How ridiculous can this girl be? Usually I don't like the heroines because they're too whiney or clingy, she was neither but I hated her nonetheless.

I should point out that the research put into this book was brilliant though, the details, the work and surroundings made me feel the whole atmosphere the author was trying to portray. I commend the author that, her writing was detailed, but it was not an easy quick read. I think she did a good job with the language as well, one used in that particular area. The storyline - sans Sorcha's many annoying attributes - was very interesting and I guess at some point you get to tune her out and enjoy the story. I should admit though that this is not one of my favourite genres. I will stick with Regency for Historical Romances from now on.

Rating: 3/5

Author Bio:

Amanda Scott, USA Today Bestselling Author and winner of Romance Writers of America’s RITA/Golden Medallion (LORD ABBERLEY'S NEMESIS) and Romantic Times’ Awards for Best Regency Author and Best Sensual Regency (RAVENWOOD'S LADY), Lifetime Achievement (2007) and Best Scottish Historical (BORDER MOONLIGHT, 2008), began writing on a dare from her husband. She has sold every manuscript she has written.

Amanda is a fourth-generation Californian, who was born and raised in Salinas and graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in history from Mills College in Oakland. She did graduate work at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, specializing in British History, before obtaining her Master’s in History from California State University at San Jose. She now lives with her husband and son in northern California.

No comments:

Post a Comment