Thursday, November 1, 2012

Masquerade : Tour Stop, Review

My God, can you believe it's November already? I can't either! I have a lot planned this month so yes it's going to be so busy!




Title: Masquerade
Author: Nicole Flockton
ISBN: 1440557462
Buy Now:  Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:

After being humiliated by her fiancée, Sophie Franklyn has decided that getting involved with work colleagues and men in general isn’t for her. Now her focus is going to be on her career and her recent promotion. That is until at a New Year’s Eve masquerade ball, she meets a man that tempts her to question her choices.

Alex Scavoni is extremely dedicated to his job, so dedicated that his first marriage crumbled under the pressure of his dedication. Now he’s happily single, with a new job he’s excited to start. When he meets a masked Sophie at the ball, she fires desires in him he thought long dead. He spends a wonderful night with her, but wakes up alone.

The next time the two meet, it’s in the high pressure world of Emergency Room medicine where they must work side by side. While they deal with the stresses of the Emergency ward, they endeavor to keep their feelings for each other on a professional nature. When the desire that pushed them together that one night flares to life again, can they ignore them or will their one night together have consequences neither of them planned on?



Review:

As I've said before, with all the fantasy, dystopian and YA books I've been reading lately I always cherish a contemporary romantic book. This was one was a perfect fit for my mood. I have to be honest, it's the name that drew me in. The cover was alright, but the synopsis is what intrigued me enough to want to be a part of this tour.

Sophie's life is unbalanced, now that she'd broken off the engagement with her cheating fiancé and restarting as a nurse-unit manager. She has no time to think of men anymore and has to focus on work. But what's the harm of one night on New Years with a random stranger she'll probably never see again? Then she could have the perfect start to her now hectic life. Little does she know that said stranger is her new boss, and she'd just started the year getting involved with her boss, again.  To make matters worse, sparks are still going off between them, yet neither is fit for a commitment, how are they to work together from now on?

I love Masquerades. I've never been to one per se, but I love the idea. It's so fascinating. A magical night with strangers not knowing who you are, meeting people again but focusing on who they are and not what's behind their masks. I mean, when I went to Italy, the first thing I saw and -insisted I buy - was a beautiful mask, based on Venetian Masquerades I guess. So, the idea that this book starts with that, obviously had me completely and totally hooked. I find it the perfect setting for a romantic novel to bloom. Call it cheesy, call it predictable, I don't care, I love it.

The first part of the book reminded me so much of Grey's Anatomy - which the author had joked about within the book. It reminded me of the best part of that series to be honest. I enjoyed the first couple of episodes, so I was alright with the comparison.

What I didn't like about this book wasn't much in the whole scheme of things. It was a bit cheesy at times, a bit predictable at others, and some things totally not plausible. But it doesn't effect the story in general and they are so minor that you learn to enjoy them. What's the harm of them anyway?

I liked how Alex was italian. Alessandro is one of my favourite Italian names, and him being Italian made me like the story some more, since I am very into the culture right now. Alex was a slightly complex character but I enjoyed reading his points of view on things. I did expect him to be more dull, but he surprised me. I really liked Sophie's character, she wasn't 100% levelheaded - who would be with a gorgeous Italian in the vicinity? But she was very dedicated to her job, trying her best to make it on her own. She shows she has weaknesses, like her impulse in buying the apartment, which makes her all the more human. She was a very believable character that I learned to like.

Nicole's writing was very good, I liked her style, as well as changing the points of view back and forth between Alex and Sophie, I am a huge fan of getting into the protagonist's head.

All in all, an enjoyable read!

Rating: 3.5/5

Giveaway:

Enter the rafflecopter below for a chance to win an ebook copy of this book!



Author Bio:

Nicole is an Australian living in Houston Tx when she’s not chasing the kids or the dog, she is writing romances where she can escape to a world she can control.  She writes contemporary romances where you could find yourself in the chaos of a hospital emergency ward or in the high powered boardroom of a powerful, yet sexy, executive. 


Author Links:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aliaa! Thanks for having me on your blog during my tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! It has me totally wanting to read the book! Love your blog by the way it's adorable!
    +New GFC Follower!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete