Friday, October 5, 2012

Review: Season For Surrender

Hey! Another NetGalley book here, though obviously not one of the ones I had said I'd be reading in my review pile cleanup post. I had to change some books on it so it was a bit weird, I just read randomly. Anyhow, an awesome read!


Title: Season For Surrender
Author: Theresa Romain
ISBN: 1420128868
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:

Honor Among Rogues
Alexander Edgeware, Lord Xavier, has quite a reputation—for daring, wagering, and wickedness in all its delightful forms. But the wager before him is hardly his preferred sport: Xavier must persuade a proper young lady to attend his famously naughty Christmas house party—and stay the full, ruinous two weeks. Worse, the lady is Louisa Oliver, a doe-eyed bookworm Xavier finds quite charming. Yet to refuse the challenge is impossible—he will simply have to appoint himself Miss Oliver’s protector…

Mischief Among Misses
Louisa knows her chance for a husband has passed. But she has no desire to retire into spinsterhood without enjoying a few grand adventures first. When Lord Xavier’s invitation arrives, Louisa is more intrigued than insulted. And once inside the rogues’ gallery, she just may have a thing or two to teach her gentlemen friends about daring…


Buy Now:


Review:

I was actually very excited to get my hands onto this book, as I always am with a historical romance book involved. I am enamored with the old-fashioned dresses they wear on the covers, I loved this one so much because of it. I also enjoyed the title "Season for Surrender" as well as the synopsis!

Lord Xavier - known to almost no one as Alex- thrived to live a life of debauchery, betting and drinking. Or at least, that's the way he appeared to people, not that he wanted to do those things, but he was convinced he'd be worthless without his infamous reputation. His life takes a very strange turn at one of his usually less respectable parties. It all starts when his cousin bets him to convince a proper young lady to attend said party and keep her in it for two weeks.  Louisa on the other hand is sick of living a sheltered and unsocial life, especially since she was living with her half-sister and her husband, who just happened to be Lousia's ex-fiancĂ©. So, when she receives an invitation one of Lord Xavier's parties and her aunt agrees to accompany her, she rushes there with hopes she would manage to do something that is decidedly not  her.


 I laughed a lot due to the humor in this book, Alex was somewhat hilarious. Also, the way the relationship between Alex and Louisa grew was vastly entertaining.They were both great together, and the way they dealt with one another was nice. I like how they were different around one another more than they were around other people. Louisa, I had not expected her character to be so good. I am used to the heroine being whiney, annoying, and making false assumptions, as well as sometimes being weak and believing what she's told straight off. Louisa on the other hand, was very intelligent, understanding, outgoing and a bit fun, which is apparently different than she used to be- since she was seeking a change in character to find excitement. The most thing I enjoyed about Alex were his numbered 'expressions':

*Expression number one: Veiled Disdain
*Expression number two: Haughty Certainty
*Expression number three: Amused Tolerance
*Expression number four: Condescension
*Expression number five: Bemused Tolerance
(Expression Number six: Blatantly annoyed)

This book was awesome. No really. I hated some parts of it sure, others annoyed the hell out of me, but my opinion in general is that I loved this book. I had been excited to read it obviously because it was a historical romance, then as I started reading, I enjoyed the author's style immensely - yes she is now amongst my favourite Historical Romance authors. But I think what sealed the deal with this book for me was the use of Italian authors. I am an Italian major, and knowing what they're talking about and Alex's interest in Italian poetry and poets like Dante Alighieri and Francesco Petrarca was pretty cool. I actually had to study The Divine Comedy (La divina commedia) for Text Analysis Class so I know the three stages in the book of Inferno, Purgatory (purgatorio) and Paradise (paradiso).


Rating: 4/5





Author Bio:

Historical romance author Theresa Romain pursued an impractical education that allowed her to read everything she could get her hands on. She then worked for universities and libraries, where she got to read even more. Eventually she started writing, too. She lives with her family in the Midwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment