Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sprite & Kin Book Tour : Review







Title: Sprite
Author: Leigh Michael
ISBN: 1468184415 
Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble - Smashwords

Goodreads Synopsis:

Annabelle Walsh thought she had it all. She was the star of her swim team, had a loving family, a great boyfriend, and to top it off, she’d be starting at UCLA in the fall. One day, she’d be referred to as Dr. Annabelle Walsh.

She was living every girl’s dream – until her life was turned upside down. All starting with finding out that she's not just a human, but also a water spirit. Half-human, half-sprite to be exact. Although not just any sprite, Annabelle is prophesied to be the only one who can save both the sprites and mankind.

With a mix of current events, anecdotes from Greek mythology, tidbits of folklore, and Leigh’s own imagination, we join Annabelle in her journey to restore order beneath the sea. Each step of the way her mind, body, and soul are pushed to the limit begging the question, how much can one half-human, half-sprite take?


Review:

Whatever it is I actually expected when I was asked to join this tour, this was not it. I mean, I absolutely fell in love with the cover, and both the synopsis and title weren't bad, very intriguing actually. But more than anything I'd joined for Leigh, and frankly I am glad I did.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again, I love myths and legends. I also find the little mermaid to be my favourite mythical creature and disney cartoon. I was addicted to the pool as a kid and so, reading this book was basically a combination of many things I absolutely loved, making me love it as well. Not to mention the use of different countries in the midst as well as languages.

I read a review or two where people didn't enjoy this book and I cannot understand why. The writing was quite good, Leigh's style was very smooth and it was such a quick and easy read I'd really enjoyed it. The only thing I hadn't quite liked was how easy Annabelle came to terms with what they told her she was.

Other than that, I enjoyed the development of the story, how different it had gotten from where it started, and yet still tied to it. I loved the amount of mythological creatures involved or mentioned, I practically squealed when I read there were hippocampus - I am not so sure why, but I find them very intriguing sea creatures. The history weaved  going back from Poseidon and his wife was absolutely brilliant, I couldn't stop reading it.

This is actually the first time in a while where the lead character - a girl - did not make me gag or want to punch her. Honestly, it's been a while and I didn't mind being inside the protagonist's head for once. The story ends with a - sort of predicted - cliffhanger, and I couldn't wait to get started on book two!

Rating: 4/5





Title: Kin
Author: Leigh Michael
ISBN: 147926279X
Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble - Smashwords

Goodreads Synopsis:

The conclusion to Sprite (Annabelle's Story Part One). 

In Kin, Annabelle's struggles don't ease one bit. She's continually put to the test, both physically and emotionally. With help from Adrian, Natasha, Clemente, Shamus and some surprise additions, she trudges forward toward retrieving Triton's lost shell and fulfilling the ABA prophecy.



Review:
This book is basically continuing right from  where it left off in book one. I won't speak much of it though just in case I manage to accidentally give away some spoilers. All I can say is, the stakes are a lot higher in this book, with more emotional turmoil for Annabelle, as she gets to meet Blake again - realizing she'd never known who he really was- and figuring out why he was interested in her in the first place. There's also the added part of involving both Aurelia, Adrian's sister, and Lindsay, Annabelle's sister.

Even though there's more details with the history in this book, it's more fast paced than the first one. In book one Annabelle was coming to terms with what she was and her surroundings, asking for explanations as well as requiring training for her upcoming journey. In this book, Annabelle's abilities are getting more refined, not to mention the mission is extended, it's full of chases and adventure, plus the added stakes she hadn't anticipated.

The synopsis didn't give as much as in book one so I wasn't sure what to expect. Sadly, the cover wasn't as great as the first one either, I was very disappointed over that. This book however compensated that with something that was lacking in the first one. Romance. I mean, sure it was all friendly between Adrian and Annabelle, not to mention there was her boyfriend Blake. But in this book it was focused on more than the first one, which I liked since I absolutely love romance.

The problem with this book was it ended on a cliffhanger. Book one had one too sure, but I still had Kin to read so I was fine with that. But with Kin, there's nothing more to read, which had me really upset! I really want to know what happens next, especially since I think there might be a love triangle in the mix and I am not sure how that will work out!

I seriously need the next book soon!

Rating: 4/5


Author Bio:

Leigh Michael is an author of YA fiction. She's worked within the advertising world for nearly a decade before writing her debut series, Annabelle's Story. Leigh lives in Washington, DC with her husband and goldendoodle. Please learn more about Leigh and her works atwww.LeighMichaelBooks.com.



Contact info:

6 comments:

  1. I'm thrilled I was able to exceed your expectations. I've told you this a number of times, but thank you for participating in the tour.

    I love hearing feedback for Annabelle's Story. And your thoughts put a smile on my face :)

    Perhaps you should stop by my site on October 31st. I've got exciting news I think you might like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Aliaa. I just want to let you know that I've featured you in my new "Good Post Tuesday" where I feature awesome posts of other bloggers in my blog. Check it out: http://bookmavenpicks.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/good-post-tuesday-sprite-by-l-michael-mademoiselle-le-sphinx/

    Take care and continue what you're doing!

    Best,
    Jhobell Kristyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, this made me smile :)

      Delete
    2. You're very welcome. You couldn't access the link because it's not scheduled to be officially posted on my blog in about 3 hours today, but I already fixed it so that you can see it right now.

      Try it again: http://bookmavenpicks.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/good-post-tuesday-sprite-by-l-michael-mademoiselle-le-sphinx/

      Take care, Aliaa!

      Best,
      Jhobell Kristyl

      Delete
    3. Thanks! You're pretty awesome for this :)

      Delete
    4. You're welcome and thanks! :)
      Take care!

      Best,
      Jhobell Kristyl

      Delete