Friday, October 12, 2012

The Determinant Book Tour: Review





Author: A.M. Hargrove
Age Group: Young Adult

Goodreads Synopsis:

January St. Davis, on her own since the age of sixteen and struggling to stay in college, thinks she’s scored in a major way when she lands a paid summer internship at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. One evening, after working an especially long shift, a chance encounter with a group of mysterious men alters the course of her life.

Rykerian Yarrister, a Guardian of Vesturon with unearthly powers and impossibly gorgeous looks, finds himself at odds over the human female he recently saved from certain death. When it seems he is on the verge of winning her over, she is ripped from his hands by a strange and powerful being, threatening to destroy her if his demands are not met.

Do Rykerian and the Guardians have the ability to meet this fierce barbarian’s ultimatums, or will January suffer a horrid demise?




Review:


The covers for the three books in this series are absolutely stunning! I just feel so bad I hadn't had a chance to read the first two in the series, though I will work on doing that as soon as I can. But I was told this book works as a standalone book as well, so I guess that was alright - for the time being.

January has had a miserable life, wanting nothing more than her family to accept her, love her, and treat her as a daughter. But none of that happens as January is kicked out of the house on her graduation day with nowhere to go and has to learn how to make it alone at the age of 16. Now that she's 19, life hasn't been looking up either, as one of her friends had gone missing a couple years back and her school life had gone downhill. But it all changes when she catches a deadly disease and is saved from it by Rykerian, a boy so handsome she cannot fathom why he'd help her or want to be with her. Taken away, she begins to discover more about who she really is and that she isn't the freak she always thought herself, but that doesn't mean life would ease up either. There's still a disease spreading, and no one knows how it got there or whether or not it can be stopped.

This book was amazing! Though, I know this is the first time I would possibly ever say this, but the romance in the book kind of ruined it for me. Not completely, but I think it should have been less. I know it's strange, since I love romantic books, yet, in this case, a little more on this amazing Vesturion culture would have been preferred. The dealing of this epidemic that seems to have travelled almost everywhere on the planet, knowing who caused it and how to stop it. The book and the story was completely fascinating and I loved watching January grow. I enjoyed watching her interactions with her siblings, and more importantly how she adapted to what she is. Not to mention I enjoyed her interactions with Rykerian, more from his point of view actually than hers. He was completely exciting, the contradictions of his character and many aspects were so great, his was a character very well developed.

The writing was quite well done, and so were the stories mixed together. It was quick and easy, not complicated and hard to get into. I liked how the story was split into books and how each one held a different point of view. I like getting into the characters' heads, so clearly this was an entertaining read for me and I quite enjoyed it! Not to mention, the names? Rykerian? Different languages? Telepathy? This was definitely my kind of book!

Rating: 3/5

Giveaway!
(Want a chance to win a copy and more cool gifts? Fill in the rafflecopter below!)





Author Bio:


One day, on her way home from work as a sales manager, A. M. Hargrove, realized her life was on fast forward and if she didn't do something soon, it would quickly be too late to write that work of fiction she had been dreaming of her whole life.  So, she rolled down the passenger window of her fabulous (not) company car and tossed out her leather briefcase.  Luckily, the pedestrian in the direct line of fire was a dodgeball pro and had ├╝ber quick reflexes enabling him to avoid getting bashed in the head.  Feeling a tad guilty about the near miss, A. M. made a speedy turn down a deserted side street before tossing her crummy, outdated piece-of-you-know-what lap top out the window.   She breathed a liberating sigh of relief, picked up her cell phone and hit #4 on her speed dial.

Boss:  Hello

A.M.:  Boss, is that you?

Boss:  Why yes, A. M., who else would be answering my phone?

A.M.:  Er... right.  Well, I'm calling to let you know you can pick up my luxury Ford Focus at Starbucks near the interstate.

Boss:  Why ever would I want to do that?

A.M.:  Because I quit!

A.M. hit the end button and speed dialed her husband.

A.M.:  Hi hubs, can you pick me up at Starbucks?

Hubs:  Sure... Having some car trouble?

A.M.:  Not at all.  I don't have a car to have trouble with because I just quit my job.

Hubs:  WHAT?!

A.M.:  It's time for a new career and I am going to be a very famous novelist.

So began A. M. Hargrove's career as a young adult paranormal romance author of self-published ebooks.  Her series, The Guardians of Vesturon, centers around a family of six siblings and is a mix of humor, mystery, suspense and of course, love.  Survival, Resurrection and Determinant are her first and second and third full length novels in the series and Beginnings is the prequel novella.  (It didn’t happen exactly like that, but you get the idea!)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Aliaa, thanks so much for being a part of the book tour and featuring Determinant on your awesome blog. Also, thanks for taking the time to do the R&R! I really appreciate it… Annie xx

    ReplyDelete