Monday, October 29, 2012

The Perfect Clone: Tour Stop, Review

Oh wow, I know this blog has been rather dull lately and all, but I am hoping to clear this up soon! I just need to start reading and doing more reviews. Though I've been more on my youtube channel here if you'd like to check it out. I've actually kind of "over-planned" today, so bear with me.





Title: The Perfect Clone
Author: M.L. Stephens
ASIN: B009B4OA4S
Buy Link: Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:

Sticking to codes of moral conduct is no longer an option. Laura’s tried that before and failed miserably. With a second chance at life, she’s determined to make society play by her rules for a change.

Richard has secretly cultivated Laura’s talents for years, waiting for the perfect moment to pull her into his tangled web. It’s difficult enough to clone a child using DNA from an ancient shroud, but convincing Laura to help him might prove to be the bigger challenge.

With her own agenda in mind, Laura takes on the cloning project and is plunged into a world filled with secret societies, deception, murder and…apparitions? As her perception on reality shifts, Laura begins to question everything. What if Richard’s quest to create a clone to save humanity, is instead, The Perfect Clone for destruction?


Review:

I am not sure what I expected when I started reading this book. Actually, I think I didn't know what to expect reading this book's synopsis. I thought it was something, but by the time I started reading it, it turned out to be something else entirely - not in a bad way at all, just not what I thought. But then I read the synopsis on the tour's site, which was heaps better! I just seriously liked the cover and the title so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Laura should be dead, she knows it. But she isn't, her husband on the other hand is. Ever since her accident she's been having recurring and weird nightmares that she's been trying to decipher. Her life seems so bleak without him, but that doesn't stop her from going back to her work after his death and dedicate her life to research. Richard - her dad's closest friend - recruits her for a cloning job, making her realize she'd never known the man she'd seen a lot growing up. She, wants her own child - which Richard promises her if she helps him-  and decides to go through with it, thinking Richard's use of cloning is for a good cause. However, not all things go according to plan.

Alright, I should just point out there are some things I didn't like about the book. I didn't hate it ok? I actually quite liked this book, but there were some things I didn't enjoy. There were too many characters I got lost and confused many times. The writing did drone a bit and I found some parts bleak in the first couple of chapters. Laura's character was not one of my favourites. I am not sure if I didn't like her because of the way the author portrayed her - which I guess would be a positive thing since the author served the purpose of the character she had intended - or because I didn't find some of the things she did plausible. Or, maybe it's just the scientist mentality? I don't know much about scientists except from Big Bang Theory and so, it's possible her way of rationalizing is connected to that.

HOWEVER, even though I thought there were too many characters, that doesn't mean they didn't play an active role in the book. They all had their uses and were very well developed. Their background stories were well explained and they each had their purpose. You start getting used to them and it feels like one of those movies with different couples living their lives but they are somehow connected. I really liked Roger's character, he was funny, witty, sweet, and such a great friend - one Laura did not deserve. Richard was the one character so confusing you can't form an exact opinion on with the changing story, it was very interesting.

M.L. Stephens' writing is good. I really enjoyed that. And although the writing was too detailed, it doesn't ruin the effect of the book. The storyline was very good, I was never sure what to expect next - I honestly can't say this about many books I've been reading lately - this book was unique, and new, and very well developed, set in this really gray world with scientific resources quite advanced. So yes, I really liked this book, I am really looking forward to reading the second one and I do hope other people enjoy it as well.

Rating: 4/5



Author Bio:

I'm just an every day Mrs. Joe, except that I have an unshakable fetish for a good mystery and anything paranormal, along with an insatiable appetite for coffee and travel. When I'm not reading the novels of so many great authors, I'm creating stories of my own. My family keeps me grounded, my pets keep me jumping, my friends keep me focused, and it all happens in Texas!

Author Links:


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review!!

    I bypassed the rules of genre on this one and let unrestricted passion carry me!

    Roger is one of my favorite characters also! :D Thanks for having me on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review. Seems to be an interesting book to me, despite all of the "bad" things it might have.

    LadyBug @ Coffee Break

    ReplyDelete