Monday, October 8, 2012

The Star Child: Book Tour, Review




Title: The Star Child
Author: Stephenie Keyes
ISBN: 9780985656249
Publishing House: Inkspell Publishing
Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

The world is about to be cloaked in darkness. Only one can stop the night.

Kellen St. James has spent his entire life being overlooked as an unwanted, ordinary, slightly geeky kid. That is until a beautiful girl, one who has haunted his dreams for the past eleven years of his life, shows up spinning tales of a prophecy. Not just any old prophecy either, but one in which Kellen plays a key role.

Suddenly, Kellen finds himself on the run through a Celtic underworld of faeries and demons, angels and gods, not to mention a really ticked off pack of hellhounds, all in order to save the world from darkness. But will they make it in time?


Review:

Hey guys! This is one of those books I am seriously excited about because I'd been a part of the cover reveal a few months back. I've been very excited for the Inkspell Publishing book tours - they have such amazing book covers, honestly! This one is obviously no exception, what with the title and synopsis, it sounded like an amazing read.

In Kellen's graduation, he has a dream he's had repeatedly for the past eleven years, the one with the cove and the girl. For once he decides to talk to the girl, and then, after he's out of the dream, decides to pursue it and see where it leads him, since he feels like he has nothing else. As he searches into the past and his family, Kellen meets the girl from his dreams, Calienta, as she weaves him into a magical story that is his destiny and a new life he didn't expect. Before he knows it, he's a part of a world he'd never contemplated, and his most worrisome thoughts included dying or turning into his father.

I liked the protagonist's first name - Kellen - very unusual and I enjoy unusual names, not to mention Calienta, Lugh, Dillion, Cabhan and Crísdean. I also felt really bad for him at first. A seventeen year old graduating college and completely neglected and ignored by his dad. It sounded kind of sad to me, especially since it wouldn't be easy for him to make friends, thank God for his roommate though. I admit the sudden take to the past confused me all for a second before I realized it was a memory. I actually quite enjoyed that the protagonist was a boy. I've been reading a lot of books lately with the girl as the lead character and they've been very whiney and over-dramatic. It was a nice change getting inside Kellen's head.

I took an instant dislike towards Stephan - Kellen's father - even before I knew the extent of how evil he was. It was very scary actually. I could barely imagine how Kellen even survived to reach the age of seventeen.

I loved Stephanie's writing, and details. I quite enjoyed the storyline and the thorough explanation - though at times confusing - of what happened in the past as Kellen relays his life searching for a way to connect the dots in the mystery that is his family. The writing was very smooth and quick, it was such a fast and enjoyable read. I liked it immensely! I mean, how could I not when it held a lot of my favourite ingrediants; Intrigue; realistic dreams and a whole lot of magic.

Rating: 4/5

*I honestly forgot about the giveaway before*
Join the rafflecopter below for a chance to win!

a Rafflecopter giveaway



Author Bio:

Stephanie Keyes holds an undergraduate degree in Management Information Systems as well as a Master’s in Education. A seasoned, facilitator, Mrs. Keyes worked in Training and Development for an international telecommunications corporation for twelve years; spending the first eight years of her career as a Software Trainer and Technical Writer and the last four working in Human Resources and Employee Development. 

In May of 2012, Mrs.Keyes left the corporate world to focus on her family and her writing full-time. She also operates a freelance graphic and instructional design business, Sycamore Road Design.

Inkspell Publishing will release her first novel, The Star Child, on September 21, 2012. She is now currently at work on the second book in The Star Child Trilogy, The Fallen Stars.

Keyes lives in Pennsylvania with her husband, two children, and Riley the dog.

Contact Stephanie



5 comments:

  1. Aliaa,
    Thanks very much for taking the time to review The Star Child! I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed delving into Kellen and Calienta's world. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review of what sounds like a magical book. Wishing you great success Stephanie!

    Janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, I also really loved The Star Child. Congrats to Steph on a rocking book tour and another glorious review. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Kellen! And I love his name, too! Great review, girls! Well done, Stephanie! :) xx

    ReplyDelete