Thursday, October 25, 2012

Try Me & Fang Me: Review

Hey guys! So I've been in the countryside for the past three days to attend my cousin's wedding, which means I was out of internet for the time being as well. So, I just got internet access and decided to update my blog. Tomorrow is Eid, though I'll be traveling back to Cairo then, and get to see my cat again! Anyhow, yeah, I finished reading two books yesterday from the books I have to complete by the end of the month and thought to share with you guys the reviews!


Title: Try Me
Author: Parker Blue
ISBN: 0984325662
Publishing House: Bell Bridge Books
Book Source: NetGalley
Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

This part-demon teen vampire fighter and her faithful terrier hellhound are once again patrolling the dark city streets of San Antonio, Texas. Val's hunky human partner, Detective Dan Sullivan, is giving her the cold shoulder since she beheaded his vampire ex-fiance. Vamp leader Alejandro is struggling to keep the peace between vamps, demons and humans. The mucho powerful Encyclopedia Magicka has been stolen, someone in the Demon Underground is poisoning vamps, and Val's inner lust demon, Lola, is getting very restless since Val's now partnered with sexy Shade, the shadow demon with the blond good looks of an angel. The second book in Parker Blue's Demon Underground urban fantasy series plunges readers deeper into a heady world of passion, friendship, intrigue and mystery. Parker Blue lives in the wilds of Colorado with her own faithful hellhound, and she's hard at work on the next Val Shapiro book in the Demon Underground series.

Review:


This cover was just as great as the first book, as well as the title, brilliant! So, I am sure I had already mentioned this in the review of book one, but here goes nothing: I LOVE VAL SHAPIRO. I mean, with a lot of Twilight, Vampire Diaries and True Blood around, you're kind of sick of the vampires being the protagonists and all good, except for a few bad ones. I kind of miss having all vampires be bad and a select few be good, so Parker Blue's books are awesome, especially since the protagonist is one eighth demon - Succubus of all things. Which is indeed new, having the demon not be the bad guy in this case.

The book starts off with Val attending the funeral of the rogue vampire she'd killed in book one. Her partner is giving her the cold shoulder and her boss wants her to take a few days off work. She is hating this, but gives in as her cousin Micah finds a way for her to deal with Lola her inner-demon. Shade offers his help but at some point, Val is not comfortable with that method. There's also more to Shade than meets the eye since Val doesn't know much about Shadow demons. On the other hand, Val gives up TheEncyclopedia Magicka in order to know more about her origins, only to have them get stolen the second they arrive at Club purgatory. To make matters worse, someone's tampering with vampires which puts the Vampires and Demons on edge and Val's future lies on the balance.

I enjoyed seeing more of Shade and his annoying dog - Princess. I liked how cute he and Val were together, and alright, after hearing Gwen's point, I don't hate Val's mum as much as before. I mean, I still don't like her, but it's a bit less now. 

I love Parker's writing, it's so witty, smart and completely funny. I enjoy being inside Val's head - I know it's enough with Fang being there all the time and a bunch of vampires too - but still! It took me a while to get started on it, but not because of how bad it was, just being preoccupied with other things. I was so glad to get back into these stories and had completely finished the book before I even knew it! 


Amazing read! Can't wait to start reading book 3!

Rating: 4/5

***



Title: Fang Me
Author: Parker Blue
Publishing House: Bell Bridge Books

Goodreads Synopsis:

The vampires want it. The demons want it, too. And someone is willing to kill Val for it. Val and Fang have to find the powerful Encyclopedia Magicka before either of San Antonio's warring underworld factions locate it or the consequences will be deadly for the entire city. As usual, Val's vampire enemies (they still call her The Slayer) want her dead. Even some of her fellow demons may be less than trustworthy, since they'd like to grab the legendary book of spells before she does. Val has a personal claim to the Encyclopedia--her demon father left it to her when he died--but someone stole it recently. And that can't be good. Battling vamps and dodging demons, Val struggles to unravel the mystery and find the thief. At the same time, she's fighting her attraction to sweet, sexy Shade--her favorite shadow demon. Rumor has it that Val will lose her part-demon, vampire-fighting powers if she gives herself to him. With a crowd of vamps and demons out to trick her or kill her, it's not a good time for her to risk her job as the city's best vampire hunter by falling in love. The stakes are high and aimed right at her heart. But Lola, Val's hungry little lust demon, doesn't like being denied. Will Lola finally get her way? What's a part-lust-demon-teen supposed to do? Whatever it takes.

Review:

Another clever title and amazing cover to carry on the series. I have honestly never written reviews for more than one book in a series, so I am not sure if there is anything new I can add on with regards to the author's writing and style, it was just as good, clever, witty, and funny. It was flowing and easy to read and I loved seeing more of the characters, especially the vampires.

Val finally has a boyfriend, yet, just her luck she can't actually close the deal with him or get any close because it would mean she'd lose her supernatural speed, power and healing abilities. She's also under contract with vampires, not to mention being hurt a lot more often than before. Which is not so good because she can't let her healer boyfriend heal her - now that she knows the extents of his power. To make matters worse, a demon named Trevor claims he's the encyclopedia's keeper and everyone seems to be charmed by him -including Shade. Something was definitely off, and she didn't know how to alert everyone about it. She also needs to find the books soon or she's bound to work for Alejandro for a longer time than she'd like.

I didn't like Trevor from the start. Not just because Val didn't like him and I am inside her head, but yeah, something felt off about him. I also didn't miss Dan so much in this book as he didn't appear as much as before. I like seeing more of Shade and the vampires for some reason, they're a really funny lot.

 I am seriously enjoying this series and can't wait to read more in it, especially with the excerpt from the last book I had just read. It sounded so good so I can't wait to get my hand on it ASAP.

Alright Parker, we really need more Val Shapiro books out there! The badass vampire that's part demon.!

Rating: 4/5


1 comment:

  1. Both covers look amazing! I really liked the synopsis too! I can definitely appreciate the originality, though. Boy do we need originality in the market nowdays! Thanks for the heads up, keeping my out for this one. (Added to my TBR-list) (:

    ~ Annie & Demi
    http://characterized.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete