Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Clutch: Tour Stop, Review

Title: Clutch
Author: J.A Huss
ISBN: 1936413116
Buy Now: Amazon

Goodreads Synopsis:

How long can you lie to yourself before it all comes apart?

In 2152 the avian race is on Earth looking for something stolen from them decades ago – their genetics. At the center of the search lies the Rural Republic; a small backwards farming country with high hopes of military domination and a penchant for illegal bioengineering.

19 year old Junco Coot is the daughter of the Rural Republic’s ranking commander. She’s the most foul-mouthed, wildly unpredictable and ruthless sniper the Rural Republic has ever trained. But when her father’s death sparks a trip into forbidden places, she triggers events that will change everything she knows to be true.

As an elite avian military officer, Tier’s mission is to destroy the bioengineering projects, kill Commander Coot’s daughter, and return home immediately. There’s just one problem. Junco isn’t who she claims to be.

With no one to trust, not even herself, Junco must confront the secrets of her past and accept her place in the future, or risk losing herself completely.


Review:

Alright, so the graphics in this cover, are cool, however for some reason they don't do it for me. I loved the Synopsis and title though, so yeah, they were the main reason I took part of this book tour, and I am seriously glad I did.

Clutch is one of those books where you can honestly not  expect how it would turn out and I seriously enjoyed that about it. I mean, the synopsis makes you picture it as something - which is not so far off - but there's so much to it that the synopsis is basically a form of teaser and doesn't fully catch the magnitude of how amazing this book really is.

J.A. Huss, creates this whole new world in the future with new laws and new names. There's also the added part of them believing in aliens, and having laws to protect themselves from said avians.  I am not sure why whenever she'd start describing the recurring dream Junco would haver, I'd start imagining Icarus and Daedalus. And the images of just imagining how Tier would look was bloody awesome!

I really love unique ideas, and this one definitely had that. I loved the author's world as well as the names she gave the characters. I mean come on, Tier, Junco, Aren? How could I not love it? Not to mention the names of the countries, how creative they were, as well as the reason why avians are invading earth. It was all super great and just had me on edge the whole journey. The only thing I guess that would have made it better would be less profanity, though I guess it added some character to Junco and the author had intended that, so I guess I can't really judge that.

But yes, an absolute amazing read! I also got my copy of the next two books in the series and hope to manage to read and review them soon!

Rating: 4/5

Guest Post:

Top Ten Best Things about Sniper School

10. You have small class size. You know, you always hear that class size makes all the difference. In sniper school, your class starts small and shrinks as you go. Nothing like getting that personalized attention to detail in killing class.

9. You get a cool red badge on your hat. I hate wearing the uniform hat, but that little red badge that says Sanctioned Killer with the skull and crossbones is quite attractive.

8. You get a partner who becomes your best friend. My partner was Mikah Mesner and he was hot, so we got along well both on and off duty, if you get my meaning. You get to spend a LOT of personal alone time with your partner, so Mikah and I made the most of it.

7. You get to make ghillie suits. My ghillie suit-making skills are phenomenal. Saved my life more than once.

6. You get to stalk people and scare the crap out of them when you pop up a few feet away with a gun in their face. You’re not allowed to shoot them, of course. But it’s still fun.

5. You get the best food. Sniper School recruits had an awesome BBQ every Sunday.

4. You get to travel the world – they take you all kinds of places once you make it to year two, your whole like is like a travel bum’s dream. Of course, you do have to kill people at each stop, so there’s that. But, whatever.

3. You get the very latest weapons systems and sometimes they let you test drive the new stuff. I once got to shoot a target from space!

2. No one messes with you. Nada. No one.

1. And the number one reason why sniper school is awesome – you get to blow stuff up. Really, who doesn’t like to do that?




Author Bio:


J.A. Huss writes new adult speculative and science fiction as well as an entire line of science non-fiction textbooks that cater to home learners. She has an undergraduate degree in equine science and a graduate degree in forensic toxicology. She adores everything science and considers herself a major geek! Her first series is called I Am Just Junco and is due out on October 1, 2012.


Author Links:

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Nice review ;)
    LadyBug
    http://english-written-portairt.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Aliaa! I really appreciate you taking the time to review the book and have me on your blog. I'm glad you enjoyed it and sorry for the swearing! She is a total potty mouth. I hope to cure her of that before it's all over! ;)

    ReplyDelete