Thursday, November 22, 2012

Fault Lines: Review

Title: Fault Lines
Author: Rebecca Rogers Maher
ISBN13: B008JIWS5A
Publishing House: Carina Press
Book Source: NetGalley

Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

Sarah Murphy plans other people's weddings. She's gorgeous and successful, but she also carries a dark secret.

At one of her events, she meets Joe Sullivan, a sexy photographer with a difficult past of his own. When he snaps a rare unguarded photograph of her and captures the real person hiding behind the facade, she feels exposed. To restore the upper hand, she tries to do what she always does: use sex to defuse the situation.

While Joe is eager to deepen his relationship with Sarah, he's aware of her emotional shield and the way she disconnects from her body. Seeing her at her most vulnerable doesn't scare him off, but he needs to know what she's hiding.

Sarah has a tough decision to make. Does she want to go on living a lonely, emotionally frozen life? Or can she finally risk revealing the truth and move forward with Joe?


Review:

The other day I was reading "One Wrong Move" and although it didn't really concentrate fully on the protagonist, since there was a lot of stuff going on around, it still mentioned some history of abuse in her life. The male lead pointed out that women who suffer from such abuse go two ways, either they try to make themselves invisible or they get extra slutty. One Wrong Move was an example of the first, this book is an example of the latter. It is such a coincidence that I read those two books days apart, but yes, I could see the contrast.

I hate books on abuse and rape and whatnot because of how awful they make me feel, and it reminds me of how many out there suffering from such occurrences, especially here in my home town. But that doesn't mean I won't read those books. This one was a book that made me cry, even though it was short, it was kind of hopeful and very plausible.

I didn't like how she let her mother off the hook so easily in the end, I really didn't, but I enjoyed the conflict she was going through. It was all so believable, and no way in hell was it what I thought it would be. The book had a completely different start to it, I never took it for the emotional turmoil it would end up with, I just thought it was just another chick lit read, but with the male and female  protagonists switching roles where she's the cynic and he's the hopeless romantic. I did not see it coming.

This was such a sad, but kind of hopeful read, I ended up crying a bunch of times, but appreciated the main character's strength. Joe was an amazing guy, and I loved how he was with her, and how he too had his own baggage to add to the mix, it made them compatible and I enjoyed that a lot!

Rating: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Aliaa! Sorry for the intrusion :)
    I just wanted to let you know I mentioned you on my blog: http://sarainbooklandblog.blogspot.it/2012/11/feature-and-follow-5-blogger-friends.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gosh, you don't know how happy it made me feel seeing it :D

      Delete