Saturday, November 17, 2012

Finally Home: Review

Title: Finally Home
Author: Helen Scott Tayler
ASIN: B008O53R2G
Publishing House: Carina Press
Book Source: NetGalley

Goodreads Synopsis:

As manager of the charming Greyfriar House Hotel, Melanie Marshall loves her job and spending time with her young son. But she can never forget what she ran away from: her late husband's crimes and her own terrible guilt. Though lonely, Melanie can't afford to let another man into her life.

But when her boss, gorgeous hotel owner Jack Summers, returns from his supposed wedding without a ring or a wife, Melanie discovers there's more to him than she ever thought. For one, the ex-soccer star is her son's idol. But the closer she gets to Jack, the more she pulls away. She can't share her past. Ever.

For too long, Jack's protected his scarred heart by letting gold-digging women make him think love didn't matter. But a sweet single mother and a soccer-crazy little boy change everything. He knows Melanie has secrets. Secrets she'll have to share if he's to help her realize she's finally home.


Review:

This book, was not what I had expected. Sadly, this time I mean it in a bad way. The cover was stunning! I  mean seriously, I fell in love with it and the synopsis. They held so much promise, the idea was great and I couldn't get my hand on it.

However, when I started reading the book, it was one of those books that ignored most plausibility rules and it didn't sit well with me. Most of the scenarios didn't add up. Starting with Jack. He was marrying a woman because she caught him off guard and proposed to him. He was going through with it even though he'd never technically said yes. Then the fiancé in question is outraged that he'd changed his mind when he'd never made it up in the first place? Not to mention, he could have tried a whole lot of other things to tell her he couldn't marry her before going on to yeah I am in love with someone else.

Then Stephanie was angry one second and wanting destroy Melanie, and the next she's helping Melanie and giving her advice. I mean seriously? Talk about split personality. I am convinced Stephanie is some form of mental case and needs help. As to Melanie, well she was the least unbelievable of the lot. In fact I guess she'd be the best character in the book. My least favorite was the child, Ryan. Not one word uttered out of his mouth was convincing for his age or something a child like him would do. I disliked him, which was weird because I'm normally all for children in books. I really am. But not this one. I could go on to all the other characters I didn't like, but I'll stop here. You get the picture.

The story itself - ignoring all that- was good. I mean I managed to read it to the end, so that gives it an extra half point. I just hate having to ignore all plausible and believable scenarios in a book to enjoy it. I like to just get into the book and actually believe all that's happening around me. The love story developing between Jack and Melanie was good, aside from their weird reactions to Jack's bizarre method of breaking up with his fiancé.


Rating: 2.5/5

2 comments:

  1. I have a copy of this book and plan on reading it soon. I have high expectations form it, but I hope I'm not disappointed! It's sad you didn't like it as much as you would have liked to... Oh well, great review anyway! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well I honestly hope you enjoy it more than I did then!

      Delete