Saturday, November 24, 2012

How Beauty Met The Beast: Review

Title: How Beauty Met The Beast
Author: Jax Garren
Publishing House: Carina Press
Source: NetGalley
Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

The Beast

Scarred. Damaged. Living with a terrible secret. Agent of the Underlight Wesley "Hauk" Haukon has nothing left but the fight for liberty against the oppressive Order of Ananke. He's starting to lose hope…and then he sees her.

The Beauty

Despite her night job as a burlesque dancer, grad student Jolie Benoit has always played the mostly good girl. That all changes following a scorching sexual encounter with a stranger whose face she doesn't see. After she's kidnapped by thugs and rescued by a man with a very familiar voice, Jolie becomes a pawn in a struggle she never knew existed.

Hauk knows he cannot have her, and resolves to protect his heart and his secrets. But as they work together and grow closer, he finds new reason to keep fighting. Dare he risk hope in a new life, one where Jolie can see past his ravaged face and where their friendship can grow into something more?


Review:

I had such high expectations when I first saw this book! I mean, look at the absolutely stunning cover, is it not eye-catching? It had me almost drooling, and since the title and synopsis only made me more eager to read it I requested it on NetGalley.

As I have mentioned before I love fairytale or story retellings in general, so this sounded like a fun retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I've been really into it lately due to the T.V show that had just started out with that name. In a way there were some similarities between how the beast came to be thusly, however this is where the similarities ended.

The story itself was very creative and an absolutely new take on the original than I had anticipated. After reading the synopsis I was very intrigued and eager to read the story and see how the author chose to develop said story and go through with it. I loved the new twists and ideas, I loved how very different the protagonists are and the change in their backgrounds tot he norm.

What I didn't like was the fact that you didn't get so much depth into their background stories, not much of a chance to get to know them so well. The story was very short for my taste, I was very upset when it was over! I do get it though, since it is meant to be a series, the author didn't give much away here with hopes of doing so along the line of the next two books in this series. Not to mention the plans of the next few books made it that short. I just hate that I didn't have much of an opportunity to get attached to the main characters. Maybe she could have combined all three stories into one book and divided that into three parts? The suspense will probably have me on edge for the next few months, at least until the second book comes out sometimes in February I think.

I really liked Jax's writing and I find her absolutely creative and a great writer. Can't wait to get deeper into this series!

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment