Monday, November 12, 2012

Once Upon A Second Chance: Book Tour, Review




Title: Once Upon a Second Chance
Author: Marian vere
ISBN: 9781623429157
Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

What happens to your Happily-Ever-After when your Fairy Godmother doesn't show up for work?

Julia Basham’s life was perfect. She was finally done with school, about to start an internship with a prestigious financial company which would lead to a great job and, best of all, she’d just become engaged to her very own Prince Charming, Nicholas Kerkley. Unfortunately, while Nick was warm, intelligent, and completely devoted to Julia, he was also a college dropout, with no job to speak of, and almost completely broke. While none of his shortcomings were a problem for Julia, they were a big problem for her older sister Lisa, who told her that a guy like Nick wasn’t proper marriage material for a girl on the fast track to success, Julia began to reconsider the relationship. Although she didn’t wholeheartedly agree with Lisa, after some thought Julia decided that she would take her sister’s advice and end her engagement with Nick, convincing herself that it was the right thing to do. Only after breaking Nick’s heart, and her own in the process, did Julia realize what a horrible mistake it was. 

As the story opens nearly a decade later, Julia is the quiet shadow of the woman everyone thought she’d be, who’s once fulfilling life has fallen into a stale and safe existence. Her shell of a world is thrown into upheaval when she finds out that the financial planning team she works for has taken on a new client; a now successful and very rich Nick Kerkley. Stuck in a horribly awkward situation, Julia makes a decision–take charge, step up, and find her own happy ending. However, she quickly realizes that fairy tales aren’t as strait forward as we’ve been brought up to believe. Sometimes, to get to happily ever after, you have to stop waiting for fate, strap on a pair of wings, and be your own fairy godmother.


Once Upon A Second Chance, is a modern yet whimsical take on Austen’s classic love story, Persuasion.



Review:

I think the main reason I wanted to be a part of this tour was the synopsis. It sounded like an amazing retelling for Jane Austen's book 'Persuasion'. I've only ever read two books for her, Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice, and I very much loved them. So yeah, that and the stunning cover - not to mention cool title- had me convinced I should read said book!

After a lot of squealing, laughter and absolute excitement and jumping around, I managed to sit down and start writing this review. I had expected this book to be good, I mean come on, how can it not be with what I just mentioned above? A stunning cover? A clever title? A retelling of Persuasion? But then something happened - namely I read the book - and my opinion of the book changed from good to great! I am an absolute and total hopeless romantic. And this book not only held that, but it was a mix of fairytales and classic books and a very witty and amazing main character. I could so relate to Julia and I understood her as a character and frankly, I really liked her.

I've been sadly reading a few - not so great books - as of late. Or maybe they were good, but nothing above a 3.5 star in my opinion. But this book, well, this book was everything I hoped  it would be! The characters were all brilliant, surprising, and varied. The storyline was very plausible - aside from appearance of one fairy God mother - and it held such great appeal to me. The writing was so amazing, and engaging and I was so attached to the main character. It was like a mix of all my favorite chick flick movies in a  book, and I really liked that. Though I guess the last part was a bit rushed and all, but that was nothing in the grand scheme of things.

*Spolier Alert* One of my favorite things about Persuasion was the last part of the book. The letter he sends her. So, when I found a similar one here, I practically squealed, and had a goofy grin on for quite a bit.

Rating: 5/5!



            Author Bio:

Marian Vere is a twenty eight year old writer of Women's Fiction. Born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, she received her degree from Edinboro University of Pennsylvania in--oddly enough--vocal music performance, only to later discover her love of writing and storytelling. Marian is represented by Carly Watters of PS Literary, and currently lives in the suburbs of Chicago with her Husband, and two daughters. 


Author Links:





1 comment:

  1. Loved your review... and I don't know the writer, but now I'm very curious about this book :)

    LadyBug @ Coffee Break
    (http://english-written-portairt.blogspot.pt/)

    ReplyDelete