Saturday, November 10, 2012

One Pink Line: Review

Title: One Pink Line
Author: Dina Silver
ISBN: 146377253X
Publishing House: CreateSpace
Book Source: NetGalley

Goodreads Synopsis:

Can the love of a lifetime be forever changed by one pink line? Dina Silver’s tender, absorbing novel, One Pink Line, is the warmhearted, wry story of love, loss and family, as seen through the prism of one singular, spirited young couple who find themselves in a predicament that changes the course of their lives, and those closest to them. With heart, humor and compassion, this debut work of women’s fiction is certain to stir anyone who relishes a good laugh, can stand a good cry, and, above all believes in the redemptive power of love.

This unique, contemporary story gives readers a dual perspective. Sydney Shephard, a sweet-tempered, strong-natured college senior is young, in love with an exceptional man, and unexpectedly pregnant. Faced with a child she never planned for, she is forced to relay this news to her neurotic mother, relinquish her youth, and risk losing the love of her life. Then there’s Grace, a daughter, who believed she was a product of this great love, grows to realize her existence is not what she assumed, and is left with profound and puzzling questions about who she really is.

Spanning generations and every imaginable emotion, One Pink Line reveals how two points of view can be dramatically at odds, and perhaps ultimately reconciled. Simultaneously deeply felt and lighthearted, One Pink Line deftly mines how the choices we make are able to alter so many lives, and how doing the right thing and living honestly can bring unexpected, hard-won happiness. It’s a must-read for anyone who relishes a great love story, absorbing characters, and plenty of laughs along the way.

Review:

I honestly have mixed feelings about this book as well. The cover, title and synopsis were an intriguing mix, which obviously compelled me to request it. Though, it's completely different than I had expected it to be.

Alright, well, Dina's writing wasn't bad, and the story in itself was a quick read, which was good.  The book went back and forth in time as well as in between characters that it got confusing. Though, it was an interesting choice of writing skill. I would have appreciated it more, had I found Sydney as a mother relatable, or liked Grace as a teen or grown up. However, I felt detached the whole time, which makes a book lose points in my opinion because it was in separate points of view, and well feeling detached when the book is written in first person cannot be a good thing.

I related and enjoyed the story the first two or three chapters. It felt like something I'd really love and even with the emotional roller-coaster I'd expected, I was looking forward to reading it. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to ride the roller-coaster, because I wasn't attached to the book or the protagonist. The only feelings I had for Sydney was severe dislike. I couldn't comprehend her. I did love Ethan though, he was the basically my favourite part about this book, him and Grace as a child - not when the book went on to her point of view. I liked how supportive everyone was to Sydney when she told them about the baby, and how amazing Ethan was through it all.

But all in all, the book was not really my cup of tea.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment