Wednesday, November 21, 2012

One Wrong Move: Review

Title: One Wrong Move
Author: Shannon McKenna
ISBN: 0758273479
Publishing House: Kensington
Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

SECRETS NEVER DIE

Alex Aaro has spent most of his life on the run from his Ukrainian mafia family. But when he learns that crazy Aunt Tonya, the only relative who ever gave a damn about him, is dying, he risks returning home to say goodbye. He’s prepared for anything except the call from his friend, Bruno Ranieri, that sends him on a wild and dangerous ride with a mysterious woman who holds a deadly secret and a white hot passion that binds them together.

Social worker Nina Christie has no idea how much trouble she’s in when her Aunt Helga shows up unexpectedly, emaciated and bleeding, and injects Nina with an unknown drug. Now a ruthless crime syndicate will stop at nothing to make Nina disappear, and only Alex Aaro, that inscrutable six-foot-four rock hard slab of lean muscle, stands between her and certain death. Now Nina and Alex are in a race against time, death, and their desire for one another…


Review:

*Warning, the book contains a lot of profanity and adult content*

So yeah, this is book nine in the series. And yes, as you must have guessed, no I have not read any of the previous one. HOWEVER this book can work as a standalone story so honestly, it doesn't effect the story much. I didn't know it's the ninth in the series - story of my life really - but I was drawn by the synopsis. And strangely enough, I find the cover befitting.

I loved Shannon's writing, I loved the development of the characters. Heck, I even loved the main character, Nina, which is something I rarely say about a lead female character. I found her very plausible, even though Alex was a bit over the top with some things, they both worked together and their interactions were very enjoyable.

I liked how the side stories all added up and well, gave the story different edges. Not only is this a sort of murder mystery and a great crime story - which is a genre I surprisingly really like - there was the added psychic powers to the mix, which turned the story into a bit of a paranormal one, oddly giving it a unique and interesting effect.

This book reminded me so much of Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood. Not that it is anything like it - except they're both crime and sort of mystery, but because I quite enjoy family crime books. Alex is not part of this family, he's a friend of it, but still, the references to the other members whose stories have been told had me very intrigued - so yes, I am definitely going to read the rest of the books in this series. And since it sort of left on a cliffhanger, I am dying to know what happens in the next book!

Rating: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Well it is nice to know you picked it up nine books into the series and had no problems. There are so many series that are eight books or more that I forgo because I just don't have time to read them all so that is definitely a plus with this. Thanks for recommending this series.

    ReplyDelete