Monday, November 26, 2012

Pushing the Limits: Review

Title: Pushing The Limits
Author: Katie McGarry
ISBN: 0373210493 
Publisher: Harlequin Teen - Mira Ink
Book Source: NetGalley

Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


Review:

*Read with caution, book may cause inner upheaval, open up a round of waterworks and leave you emotionally drained. Also, this book has me in so much emotional turmoil that I can't promise there won't be spoilers in this review*

I was a bit wary to read this book. I heard a lot of amazing things about it from other bloggers and all, but the synopsis had me a bit unsure. It was a struggle really, whether to read it or not. The cover was stunning and captivating, so were both the title and synopsis. On the one hand there was that and the opinion of other blogger friends, on the other hand, it sounded like it would be very emotional - One Moment sort of emotional - and I wasn't sure how I'd handle that. In the end I gave in and decided to read it.

Two years ago Echo was popular, beautiful and had the perfect social life then she lost all of that and no one could explain exactly what happened. Rumors were spinning and two consequences caused her great annoyance people loved to speculate, and she also needed therapy. Her two goals in life were, one, to remember what actually happened that night she lost everything, and two, to fix the car her brother had bought before dying. To do the latter she needed money, which she was to get by tutoring Noah. Noah, has a rough time of his own, not only is he busy cultivating a very bad reputation that he didn't completely deserve, he wants his family back. Even though his parents are dead, he still has his brothers, if only he could just see them for more than those supervised monthly visits. To do that he has to play good, something he isn't sure he's capable of.

This book is basically a mix of 'Good Will Hunting' and a bunch of other very emotional books I've read recently, including  One Moment, Desert Rice and Souls in Peril. Basically a lot of emotional turmoil, repressed memories, accidents, loss, betrayal and too much pain. So yes, can you imagine how hard it was for me to get through the entire book? I could barely get past each of these books at a time, but this is sort of a combination of all that.

Katie's writing was so gripping that I found my self hooked from the start, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't stop, I had to go on. The writing was good, the plot was interesting, and the characters were very complex. I am not so sure what I felt about any of them.

Do I hate the foster parents? Do I hate Echo's dad? Or do I hate her step mum? Or do I hate her mum? Do I accept how things ended? The decisions made?

 I just don't know! I don't know any of that. To be honest, it's very hard to be objective since we see everything through the protagonists' eyes. At times through Noah's and others through Echo's. They aren't normally objective with most things so you strongly take a side before realizing that there's too much behind it that maybe, just maybe, it's not the right side after all.

This is not a simple read. I strongly advice you don't read it all in one sitting like I did, the tears kept coming down it was so sad. Though maybe dividing it so that you're always thinking about what heartbreaking thing would happen next is not so great. So yeah depends on how you like the whole emotional roller-coaster ride.

This book was beautiful, and awful, and amazing, and one of those books I can't imagine having just one opinion on, which in my book means it's perfect. What good is a book if it doesn't get you so emotionally invested and full of inner turmoil that you're unsure about anything anymore? This book was just that and I think everyone should give it a read! The story is a very beautiful one about self-discovery, growing up, what it means to be mature and doing the right thing. It's also about accepting who you are, learning to love yourself and other people, and not to care what everyone around you thinks since their opinions don't matter.

Rating: 5/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment