Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Broken: Review

Title: Broken
Author: A.E Rought
ISBN: 1908844310
Publishing House: Angry Robot
Book Source: NetGalley

Goodreads Synopsis:

Imagine a modern spin on Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein where a young couple’s undying love and the grief of a father pushed beyond sanity could spell the destruction of them all.

A string of suspicious deaths near a small Michigan town ends with a fall that claims the life of Emma Gentry's boyfriend, Daniel. Emma is broken, a hollow shell mechanically moving through her days. She and Daniel had been made for each other, complete only when they were together. Now she restlessly wanders the town in the late Fall gloom, haunting the cemetery and its white-marbled tombs, feeling Daniel everywhere, his spectre in the moonlight and the fog.

When she encounters newcomer Alex Franks, only son of a renowned widowed surgeon, she's intrigued despite herself. He's an enigma, melting into shadows, preferring to keep to himself. But he is as drawn to her as she is to him. He is strangely... familiar. From the way he knows how to open her locker when it sticks, to the nickname she shared only with Daniel, even his hazel eyes with brown flecks are just like Daniel's.


The closer they become, though, the more something inside her screams there's something very wrong with Alex Franks. And when Emma stumbles across a grotesque and terrifying menagerie of mangled but living animals within the walls of the Franks' estate, creatures she surely knows must have died from their injuries, she knows.


Review:

So yes, you guys probably guessed it, I requested this book as well because of the STUNNING cover! There's no other way to say it. I hadn't even taken a look onto the synopsis - which I think I should have done considering my aversion to zombie stories or whatever. The first line in the synopsis worried me:

Imagine a modern spin on Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein where a young couple’s undying love and the grief of a father pushed beyond sanity could spell the destruction of them all.


This book held so much potential, and had a great and eery start. I really loved it. The idea was so amazing at first, and I had expected some things and gotten predictions, sadly, it wasn't what I had expected or predicted at all, and for once, I don't mean it in a good way. It actually went really downhill halfway through the book and didn't recover.

One of the things I didn't like about this story was first of all, Emma's mum. She was annoying as hell and too childish for a mother. I don't know why but I don't feel the character was so well developed. I also feel like there were too many characters and most of the guys were just seriously into Emma for some reason. The 'popular' girl Ally described her as the Emo Loser girl, so how come just from the start of the book already three guys were so into her, and then comes another. I didn't feel like it was realistic, nor the way she described herself, it didn't sound like she would be the kind of person to have all this attention. A special guy knowing how great she really is, sure, but Josh, Tiny, Daniel and Alex, all drawn to her for her average looks and slightly witty personality? I think not.

Speaking of Emma. I think whatever interest she had with Alex moved too fast. I mean, her boyfriend - who she loved so much and found life bleak without - died, and even though she wasn't interested in the other guys, she was all into Alex. She was saving him a seat at lunch, smiling and not intentionally flirting with him, and also contemplating something going on, I don't know, it just moved so fast. I can understand if he had all these weird qualities that drew her because it reminded her of her ex-boyfriend, but it didn't sound like it was just that.

It wasn't as great as I'd hoped it would be sadly.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment