Monday, December 3, 2012

Frozen Heart: Review

Title: Frozen Heart
Author: Annabelle Blume
ISBN13: 9780985148355
Publishing House: InkSpell Publishing
Book Source: InkSpell Publishing

Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble - InkSpell Publishing

Goodreads Synopsis:

Cressenda knows how to survive. With her sled dogs as her only companions, she’s spent the past ten years hiding in the snow covered wilderness from the oppressive regime of the Affinity. When a routine trip to civilization takes a turn for the worst, Cressenda is forced to take refuge with the enemy or lose her life to the frozen countryside.

But Beckett, a Guard of the Affinity, is more than a man in uniform. His desperate need to help Cressenda escape both- the blizzard and the Affinity- makes her feelings for him all the more troubling. Will Beckett be true to his word and set Cressenda free? Will her heart let her leave after all they’ve shared?


Review:

I received this book a while back from Inkspell Publishing for a review, and I don't know why it took me this long to read it. So I am sorry about that! I was a bit disappointed with this book. I mean it works well if you want a short Christmas-y read, but not as a full-on YA novel.

Cressenda lives in the Wilds, the way her parents have been training her to since her infancy, just so she wouldn't be forced to live in the Affinity and be 'matched' - a fate she abhors more than anything. However, on one of her rounds for Trade, she gets to meet Beckett, a Guard of the Affinity, yet, instead of turning her in as an escapee, he takes her home to survive the blizzard. Soon enough Cressenda starts to wonder if it was worth it being in the Wild and free, if she has no one else with her but her dogs.

This book held so much potential, seriously, you cannot imagine how amazing Annabelle's description was at first! But she didn't explain much about the Affinity or life there or how Cressanda's parents were caught, as I mentioned, short - very short. I hated that after just getting so into it in chapter one, it didn't further explain anything, just repeated over and over again the same part of history she'd mentioned before. No explanations, no anything. Though, at some point I hated that it was remarkably like Delirium - maybe because I'd just recently finished the other book? I don't know. In this one they're allowed to fall in love I think, but mostly people don't because they don't get to choose their significant others, they're matched.

So yeah, such a short read, I finished it on my way home from university today, in less than two hours! I liked Annabelle's writing, and hope to read something else by her. Just hopefully longer and with more explanations!

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment