Sunday, February 17, 2013

Confessions of An Angry Girl: Review

Title: Confessions of An Angry Girl
Author: Louise Rozett
ISBN: 184845175X
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Book Source: NetGalley

Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some CONFESSIONS to make...

#1: I’m livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I’m allowed to be irate, don’t you?

#2: I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed gorgeous Jamie Forta, boyfriend of the coolest cheerleader in the school. Now she’s out for blood. Mine.

#3: But most of all high school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien…and now it’s a case of survival of the coolest.



Review:

What hooked me onto this book was both the title and the cover - which is beautiful as you can see. I was looking forward to reading more about this girl who's always angry due to the happenings in her life as well as how she dealt with them, and maybe how she's gotten rid of said anger?

I was also a big fan of the use of new words at the start of every chapter and how she relates them to her life.

To start off, I really never thought of her as angry. At least, it didn't reach the extent that I was bracing myself for from the title. Not that she didn't have ample reason to be angry, in fact that part was true enough, her father died, her mother shut herself out, her brother isn't around like he should be and her school life is a mess. It's bad enough she has to start high school all alone, but her best friend was also prioritizing her life in a way that either excludes or humiliates her. She has feelings for a guy that she soon learns is only nice because her brother asked him to, and even though he kisses her, she knows he has a girlfriend - one who's out for blood. She even gets a new nickname as '911 Bitch' as she ruins a party because one of her friends nearly dies. Things aren't looking up in her first year of high school and she can't find where she belongs. So yes, she has more reason than not to be angry, so angry that she should act out and let the anger leave her body, but I didn't get to see her act that way.

I think it might have something to do with how she lets many things slide that, in my opinion, a normal person wouldn't, or shouldn't. Mainly her relationship with her best friend Tracy - although I didn't see her once acting like a best friend throughout the book. She was a selfish, arrogant, back-stabbing, obnoxious bitch the entire time. She kept berating and starting fights with Rose just because she was the only person looking out for her. And when she still ignores Rose's advice and things end up just like she warned her they would, she goes crawling back to her for support. Then bam! The next second she's out there again doing the same thing over and over again, like she doesn't learn. I don't necessarily care what she does, it's her life and her decisions, but I hated how Rose never called her out on what she was doing, never actively told her her true feelings and how hurt she was over what she'd done to her. She forgave her so easily and even apologized herself at times, what the hell? Their relationship annoyed me to no end.

The other thing that bothered me was Jamie. I can't put my hand on whatever it is he's doing. One second he's nice and looking out for her, the next thing is using fake IDs to get kegs and acting like a jerk. He's the one always following Rose around and he's the one who kisses her, yet he has a girlfriend, he knows it, and just puts Rose in the face of crazy girl's wrath. It was so pathetic. He draws and finds an outlet for his anger, yet still acts out and becomes a bad boy. I can't really figure him out.

I think the most understandable characters were both Peter and Robert. I could understand what they were doing and why they were doing it, they made sense. Peter was a freshman at college whose father had just died, he's angry, he's acting out and he feels weird coming home to a family tradition that didn't involve his entire family so he avoids it. I can understand how his sister would be angry about it to, but at the same time it's all complicated. Robert has had a crush on Rose for years and wants to be with her no matter what, but he's always been her friend so he stands by her when she needs him, and I actually felt sorry for him at times. The rest of the characters, it's just a ball of confusion and mixed signals!

I did enjoy the story though, I can't wait for the second book since this one left off on a bad cliffhanger. I want to know what happens with Rose and Regina, my fingers are crossed that she ends up finally punching her or something. Or maybe someone else does, I don't know, I just want her to be punched okay?

Louise's writing is really good, and I found myself finishing is book in a few hours, the style is so flowing, I even caught myself crying a few times throughout it. Here's to hoping *I* get closure in the next book. I need it, so many loose ends!

Rating: 3/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment