Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Ambassador's Daughter: Review

Title: The Ambassador's Daughter
Author: Pam Jenoff
ISBN: 0778315096
Publisher: Harlequin UK
Source: NetGalley

Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble


Goodreads Synopsis:

Paris, 1919.The world's leaders have gathered to rebuild from the ashes of the Great War. But for one woman, the City of Light harbors dark secrets and dangerous liaisons, for which many could pay dearly.

Brought to the peace conference by her father, a German diplomat, Margot Rosenthal initially resents being trapped in the congested French capital, where she is still looked upon as the enemy. But as she contemplates returning to Berlin and a life with Stefan, the wounded fiancé she hardly knows anymore, she decides that being in Paris is not so bad after all.

Bored and torn between duty and the desire to be free, Margot strikes up unlikely alliances: with Krysia, an accomplished musician with radical acquaintances and a secret to protect; and with Georg, the handsome, damaged naval officer who gives Margot a job—and also a reason to question everything she thought she knew about where her true loyalties should lie.

Against the backdrop of one of the most significant events of the century, a delicate web of lies obscures the line between the casualties of war and of the heart, making trust a luxury that no one can afford.


Review:

I think I chose this book mainly because I loved the cover. I know I should stop doing that, but sometimes I can't help it okay? I'm impulsive when it comes to amazing covers.

When I eventually got around to reading the synopsis I was a bit conflicted, because the early 1900's is not a period I'm interested in at all. My favourite books to read on are the early 1800's. At some point I had wanted to drop it after that. But then I started thinking, maybe I should give this a try, after all I did study about the First and Second World Wars in history at school, but I've never read much on them after that.

The most interesting thing about this read for me was the point of view it is based on. I studied the two wars from the British point of view, and lately I've been reading in the point of view of a Jewish Italian man that survived Auschwitz, but I've never really read anything from the point of view of a rich German Jew, who - from what I read - are actually the reason for Hitler's hatred towards the Jews. From the rich lifestyle Margot describes and the suffering the rest of her country had undergone, it's very new for me.

The research and history Pam had added into the mix was so brilliant and I loved it. I mean, espionage, war veterans, soldiers and treaties, wars and assassination attempts. It was such a beautifully written read, with so much added in the mix. However, Margot's character wasn't one I liked in the least. She was a selfish young brat from what I read. She's too scared to voice her opinions or tell people what she really wants because she doesn't want to hurt them, only she ends up doing more than that to them. She's so absorbed in her world and doesn't want others to break free or live their own lives, when they do she envies them, even though she's repeatedly told to do just that but she doesn't listen. I hated the decisions she made and what that had cost other people, which is one of the reasons why it made me like this otherwise spectacular book much less.

It's a very interesting read, very new for me, I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, I half expected to drop it a few times throughout the book. Not because I wasn't enjoying it, but because it's not the kind of book I usually enjoy or am interested in. I am glad I didn't and that I continued till the end, but frankly, I am so sick of bad female protagonists at this point and Margot was quite bad.

Rating: 3/5.

2 comments:

  1. Same here! I'm quite impulsive in terms of gorgeous covers ;)
    I can't stop it either, haha

    Love your review! :)

    I'm currently having a giveaway on my blog. Wanna check it out? GIVEAWAY here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Good luck with the giveaway such awesome books ;)

      Delete