Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Lost Prince: Review

Title: The Lost Prince
Author: Julie Kagawa
ISBN: 0373210574
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: NetGalley

Goodreads Synopsis:

Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

Review:

I must confess that when I started  The Iron Fey series I wasn't so fond of Meghan. She was a really bad protagonist and having it all from her point of view wasn't good. But I still read the series because, even though I didn't like being in Meghan's head, Julie Kagawa's writing was amazing and this whole new world she created using all those mythological creatures had me so fascinated and enthralled that I chose to ignore the annoying traits that Meghan showed. That and, she did improve by the third book. The fourth book was absolutely my favourite due the fact that it was in Ash's point of view instead and I loved him.

So, after being so captured with this series, I had to continue with the next one, to know what happens with Kierran and Ethan! I mean, after reading the Iron Prophecy, I obviously had no choice, I was hooked. That and, I wasn't ready to say goodbye to the feyworld just yet.

The story starts off with Ethan, in yet another school, trying to deal with the bullies and the popular kids, the whole faculty that believes he's bad news and that he's bound to throw his life away and end up in prison as a criminal. He can't tell them the truth either, because who would believe that all the trouble he was said to have caused was in fact the doing of faeries that only he can see? He tries to keep to himself, just enough to graduate and leave this life behind him, but it's not easy with the fey lurking around, not to mention he can't stop from helping a half-breed or keep away a nosy reporter who's nothing like everyone else in school. Before he knows it, they both embark on a journey in the one place Ethan hated more than anything in his life. He's back to the Nevernever where surprises never cease.

The Lost Prince comes in a new voice this time, it's all from Ethan's point of view. I found it to be both refreshing and interesting. He's not the same kid who was captured by fey when he was four, he's also not Meghan, going onto this new realm with no form of knowledge or protection or understanding to what might happen. He's prepared, and terrified and very paranoid. He also has this shell around him to protect himself and his family from the fey he knows are both dangerous and vindictive.

Ethan is a very complex character, he's attempting to appear in a certain way, and yet he's not at all like that. He's guarded, but protective, he's scared but courageous. Even though he knows he can't defeat the fey, it doesn't mean he wouldn't try. He embarks on this journey, knowing full well he might fail just to save a friend. I loved his character. I enjoyed the struggle he had when it came to his sister, how he was trying to show her he's grown up and doesn't need her, but he also missed her and wanted to ask her all these questions. His relationship with both Kierran and Kenzie was very fun to read because they were both new to him and he wasn't sure of how to act.

This new journey through the Nevernever in Julie's new series is going to be so much fun, I can't wait to read the upcoming books! Julie's writing is just as good, if not better, and her characters are all new and unique.

Rating: 4/5!

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this one from Ethans' perspective as well. And same as you, it was only this book where I started to appreciate Meghan a little bit more. I guess being a queen is more appealing to her character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Aliaa!

    I'm currently helping out one of my blogger buddies, YA author Mia Hoddell, in finding tour host bloggers for her newest novel DEADLY TO LOVE. I'm wondering if you would be interested into becoming a tour host for this novel.

    The tour schedule can be found here: http://miahoddell.blogspot.co.uk/p/tour-schedule.html

    The tour sign-up is here: http://miahoddell.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/new-covers-sign-up.html

    There's no pressure in participating in this tour but I'm sure Mia would be grateful if more people could join. Feel free to also help spread the word for this tour. Thanks & take care!

    Best,
    Jhobell Kristyl
    http://bookmavenpicks.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete