Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Trouble With Valentine's: Review

Title: The Trouble With Valentine's
Author: Kelly Hunter
ISBN13: 9781472000736

Publisher: Harlequin UK
Source: NetGalley

Buy Now: Amazon


Goodreads Synopsis:

The perfect Valentine’s gift?

As far as women’s fashion accessories went, he was spectacular. A black-haired, cobalt-eyed, dangerous- looking toy who no doubt warned you outright not to bother playing with him if you didn’t like his rules. He was like a Hermes handbag; women saw and women wanted, even though they knew the price was going to be astronomical.

Hallie Bennett likes a challenge, though – and his offer is tempting: $5,000 if she pretends to be his wife for a week. It might not be the most traditional Valentine’s Day proposal… but she’s hardly a traditional girl. Maybe a week in the high life, with a man to match, will be just the ticket. Just as long as she doesn’t start wishing the ‘I do’ is real…


Review:


When I first started this book I had mixed feelings because I wasn't sure I got much from the synopsis. But it sounded like a cute girlish read so I went on ahead and read it. I usually leave my contemporary reads until I am in the mood of something simple, fun, and quick, so since yesterday I was in that mood, I decided what could be more so than a 'Valentine' read?

Hallie has four overprotective older brothers, and to show them she can do it on her own, she won't accept any money from them for her tuition meaning she has to work hard to earn that money. It doesn't help that she's a bit flighty since she's always changing her courses and her mind on what she'd like to do in the future. So when a ridiculously good looking computer geek walks into her store with his mother and asks her to pretend to be his wife for the week for 5 thousand pounds, she thinks it would be way easier to get the money that she needs than the work at the store. What she doesn't anticipate is how hard it would be to pretend without wanting more.

To start off, I really didn't like the first part with how they met and how he proposed the deal, it was ridiculously unbelievable. But I'm so glad I didn't stop reading like I had wanted to at that first part because once they land in Hong Kong, the book picks up and is so good!

Kelly's writing is very hooking and fun to read. I enjoyed the two stories that were intertwined in the middle so it's not just about Hallie and Nick, but also about Kai and Jasmine. I hate that we didn't get to see inside Kai's head like we occasionally did with the rest, but maybe because he was a much more complex character than the rest, and really hard to get into?

I think it's a bit strange that I was more emotionally invested in Kai and Jasmine's love story than I was in Hallie and Nick's. I actually just thought of them as a couple straight away and the issue with mainly with poor Jasmine who didn't have many friends, only bodyguards guarding her every move. Their story was so cute. But I did enjoy Hallie's character so much. She's so lively and insane at times, causing havoc without knowing it, and poor old Nick wonders on more than one occasion how her brothers survived her. They're so great together and I quite enjoyed this read!

Rating: 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment