Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Review: The Diviners

Title: The Diviners
Author: Libba Bray
ISBN: 1907410406
Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble TBD

Goodreads Synopsis:

Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City--and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult--also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help catch the killer--if he doesn't catch her first.


Review:

I picked this book up because of the amount of people - whose taste in books usually matches mine- kept recommending it to me. I had never really read a Libba Bray book before, so this was a first for me, but it definitely won't be the last.

Usually my favourite time period with historical books is the early 1800s. I've read so many books in that time period, I am not usually fond of ones before it or straight after it before the 90s. So I was a bit hesitant with this book since it was set in the 1920s. It took me a few chapters to get into this book because I wasn't used to this time period as well as Libba Bray's writing, but once I got past the third chapter, I had gotten the  hang of it and couldn't stop reading. I actually had to stop myself the first time to go to bed, and the next one because I was reading it on the plane and had just landed. The next time after that I refused to sleep without having completely read it all.

Libba's writing was so confusing at first due to the many characters and how their lives go on simultaneously as well as how they intertwine. But they were all very well developed and you could tell they had an actual purpose and goal. It didn't take long before I was so enamored with this world she'd created amidst the 1920s and I didn't want to let go.

The parts with "Naughty John" were creepy to no end. I didn't expect to be so invested as to actually get scared of what would happen next, with the work of demons you can never predict it, and it's always more unstable than just fighting a physical danger (whether it's a supernatural creature or a villain in human form) hitting someone, actually inflicting damage or pain on your enemy makes it less dangerous or volatile than fighting a demon. However, no matter how terrified I got and how many times I wanted to close the book towards the end, I couldn't. I had to finish it because it kept getting better. Before I knew it, the book was over and I was a filled with a weird sense of melancholy that it was done. I honestly cannot wait for the next book in this series!

Evie was quite the strange character in my opinion. She's normally the kind of protagonist I hate, but at the same time, she was playing the role Libba had intended for her perfectly. She also had a depth that I was happy to discover along the way. Jericho was so mysterious and still is, I don't think I know enough about him, or even Sam. Hell, I don't think I know enough about most of the characters, which is why I hope more than the tiny slivers that have been shared will take light in the upcoming books!

Rating: 5/5!

1 comment:

  1. I've also heard great things about this book. I like the time setting, because I haven't read about it before. The characters sound very interesting :) Great review and I'm happy you loved it so much!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete