Saturday, March 16, 2013

Scarlet: Review

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer
ISBN: 0312642962
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends


Goodreads Synopsis:


The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.



Review:

I know I haven't really written a review of Cinder, but maybe I will sometime at the end of this year since I plan to reread it and Scarlet before Cress comes out. However, that doesn't mean I hated it or anything, in fact Cinder was my absolute favourite book of 2012. I read it in June and had to wait very impatiently for Scarlet to come out, and now that it has, I will probably go insane before Cress is out.

Scarlet takes place after Cinder's debacle at the ball and her imprisonment. It starts off from Scarlet's point of view half way across the world from where the events took place. Scar's grandmother has been missing and no one seemed too eager to help her out. Everyone in town was convinced she was crazy and that this was to be expected, but Scar knows something is off. Scar then meets Wolf, a fighter that is looking for a new job, but she doesn't trust him. Cinder back in New Beijing has escaped from prison and is looking for answers. And Levana, the vicious Lunar Queen finally has an excuse to wreck havoc on Earth, she wants Cinder back and won't stop at anything before she gets her there.

I am in love with fairytale retellings as you all should know by now. So when I had picked up Cinder I was so excited for the creative way Marissa had portrayed her. Scarlet was no different - though she wasn't as amazing as Cinder - the way she was portrayed was very new and unique, I loved it. Marissa had created this wonderful world and I was drawn in the whole way through. I don't think I was capable of letting it down except to go to eat once, and within a few hours it was done. Then, I started feeling guilty for having finished it so soon after its release, and hating myself because I was going to wait a long time until the next one is out.

This book was longer than the first one, mostly due to the fact that it went back and forth from Cinder and Scarlet's point of views, showing the different things happening at the same time and the road to how they got to meet eventually. I enjoyed how Cinder developed in this book and became a slightly more confident person especially with the Captain tagging along. I loved the struggle she had to go through with controlling her new Lunar powers and how unaccustomed she was to them.

I am honestly not sure how I'll manage to be patient enough for Cress to come out, so if any of you have suggestions please leave them in the comments below! This book would have to be my favourite book of 2013 so far, can you honestly blame me?

Rating: 5/5!

5 comments:

  1. I also don't have the patience to wait so long! I NEED cress right now! This book is also one of my favorite books from 2013! Awesome review.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait for Cress and Winter :)

      Delete
  2. I have been dying to read this now for a while now and haven't had the chance to. And now when I read your review I think I will manage to finally found some time to read it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to read this series! I have both of them but haven't gotten around to reading them yet! This review makes me even more excited! I also love fairytale retellings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this book on my shelf for quite some time now and your review has really inspired me to read it.

    ReplyDelete