Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Immortal Rules: Review

Title: The Immortal Rules
Author: Julie Kagawa
ISBN: 0373210515
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Book Source: NetGalley
Buy Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:

To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for…again.

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.


Review:

I've been dying to get a copy of this book for a while now but it's not easy to find it where I live, not to mention I have a huge wishlist so I'm almost always getting sidetracked with a newly released book. However, when I saw an opportunity to get my hand on both this book and The Eternity Cure from NetGalley, I couldn't very well say no now could I?

I feel like Vampire books have gone way over the top lately, which caused me to stop reading books on them for almost a year now. However, this book is about vampires in a way you've never known them to be before. This post-apocalyptic dystopian novel had me completely fascinated all the way through.

I've read books by Julie Kagawa before, the Iron Fey series to be honest and I somewhat enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, Julie has an amazing style of writing that gets you hooked almost immediately, not to mention the world building, the premise and the creativity appearing in the book, they're all so brilliant. But, what I hadn't enjoyed about the first three books in that series was the protagonist: Meghan. She was an awful protagonist in my opinion, and I wanted to smack her on more than one occasion. She slowly improved throughout the series but not enough for me to admit I like her. Which is why I loved The Iron Knight, since it was from Ash's point of view instead. The book was amazing.

Now, as to why I'm mentioning that, well, with this book as well, Julie created an amazing and magical story, with a unique premise as well as great world building and background stories to go with the creatures she added in. Not only that, but the protagonist - Allison Sekemoto - actually impressed me! She was strong, independent, caring, and very brave. She had trust issues, but was learning to go past them. So yes, I am definitely loving this series more than the Iron Fey one!

This is one of those stories where you can't just judge a species by a particular person as Allison shows to us how much she hates vampires, only to end up being one and fighting all her natural instincts no matter what her sire Kanin tells her. She has to adapt to this new life and escape her only home in the Fringe.

The vampire society build up in this book was so fascinating, I did not see most of the events coming, it was so surprising all the way through and I liked being on the edge of my seat. I loved the characters and their development, both good and bad! I loved where I was being led, and before I knew it I was done with the story, which was so sad for me, since I needed more.

After being betrayed and escaping the Fringe, Allie finds herself traveling with a group of people heading to a place called Eden, which they're not even sure if it exists.Their odd traveling times helps her hide her identity but she's trapped in nightmares involving her sire that keep her on edge, she's also terrified of what would happen if she was found out. Not to mention, she was kept in the dark about why this group of people were being chased by raiders. But sooner or later all the secrets come out to the light.

I loved Zeke. Seriously, I just loved him all the way through, he was such a hopeful and spirited boy. So helpful and sweet, I could just hug him! I am sad there wasn't much of Kanin in this book since I did like him as well. I hated her friend Stick, from the start he annoyed me to no end and I just felt he'd be the death of her or something.

This book was so damn good I'm honestly working on getting my own copy of it. Seriously, it's just so good you need a physical copy in order to read repeatedly and look at occasionally on your shelf.
Great read!

Rating: 5/5!

3 comments:

  1. I agree. While I really liked the Iron Fey, this book blew me away. I was hooked to the story with all it's great characters and the unique vampires :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not so fond of vampire novels but wow! I didn't know vampire books could be this awesome! Adding it on my TBR pile :)

    Btw, I am currently hosting my very first Blogoversary Giveaway. Please feel free to join -> http://mariusreads.blogspot.com/2013/03/blogoversary-giveaway-int.html

    ~ Marius @ Forever YA

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! This one sounds amazing!! read so many good things about it and right now I'm kicking myself for not getting this book sooner.

    ReplyDelete