Thursday, July 18, 2013

Book tour stop: Review of True Connection


Author: Rachel Walter
ISBN13: 9780615849768
Release Date: July 15th 2013
Publisher: Independent
Book Source: Tour Host

Buy From: Amazon - Smashwords

Synopsis:

'It's going to take a fight, I know that. But it's more than just a fight for my life. It's a fight for my soul and my soul mate.'
Jazzy Williams is not your average coffee-loving teen. She's struggling with her grief, her famous uncle’s fans, an overprotective big brother, and a depressed mother, all while trying to make friends at her new school. In the first week, she meets a gorgeous green-eyed hottie who turns out to be more than just some high school crush - he's more than human. And she unknowingly enrages a very dangerous breed of immortal who wants her soul or life as payment. With the help of supernatural friends and protectors, Jazzy thinks she's safe until what remains of her family is put in danger. Does Jazzy have what it takes to save her family, life, soul and soul mate, or will all be lost?

*Warning* Mature Content. This contains some profanity, mild sexual situations, innuendoes, and violence. Recommended for ages 17 and up, depending on maturity level.

Review:

When my friend told me about Rachel's book tour I jumped right in because I never really read anything for her before - whether it was just an article, a blog post, tour stop, anything. So it was very exciting getting to see a new side of her in writing. Because Tweets don't count okay?

To be honest, I didn't really read the synopsis before starting the book, I had no idea what it was talking about. I did love the cover though, and the title interested me. Then I read the first line of the book and dove right in.


"Two months, four days and twelve hours ago, my life was perfect, whole. But now? Now it's shattered and missing some important pieces."


See, naturally I was hooked. The book had a very ominous start to it, with a lot of hidden details that show up one by one as the story progresses, Jasmine -the protagonist - doesn't give it all away in the first chapter, she wants you to get to know her better before she spills the beans, which is exactly how the story is told, from Jasmine's point of view.

What really annoyed me about the story is how fast things seemed to happen. How quickly Jasmine became close friends with Seth and Skeeter, or how quickly she adapted to the change from being in the rival school of the one she's going to now, especially with how much she claimed she disliked said school. The fact that she admitted too quickly to both Seth and Skeeter her 'secrets' and Seth in turn admitting his, not to mention the fact that she didn't even take a day or two to think it over, she accepted it way too fast.

But I think after that admission, things started to look up and the story really headed in an interesting direction, although Jaz as a character did not sit well with me. I did love Seth though, he was pretty cool, and how worried he was about blowing things with Jaz was adorable. He was definitely a solid character and seemed wise and mature I guess. I also loved how over protective Henry was, and his relationship with Jaz. I don't think there's any chance of me ever having such a close relationship with my siblings, but it's great for Jaz, especially with all that they've been through with their family, you definitely need someone that completely understands.

Personally, I can't remember the last story I read on Greek Mythology and Gods. I remember a retelling of Theseus's story, but that was a while back. Naturally, Rachel implementing that supernatural element gave her extra points in my book, I love reading something new and this was definitely that. I enjoyed the nonchalant way Seth explained everything to Jasmine and the details Rachel added in the mix.

Anyhow, it was such fast paced, intriguing read.

Rating: 3/5



Giveaway:
US


International


Author's Bio:


Rachel lives in Central Pennsylvania, is a stay at home mom, has a wonderful husband, total of 4 kids, 3 of which are step kids. She’s a true Pittsburgh Penguins and Steelers fan. She’s an insomniac that loves coffee, Johnny Depp movies and bonfires, dislikes driving on the interstate, bugs of any kind, and a too quiet house. When she’s not playing with the people inside her head, making her family think she belongs in the loony bin or writing, she enjoys spending time with her family, finding new music, new books, helping someone or plotting something equally crazy with her Critique Partners.
Links:

1 comment:

  1. This book looks interesting (definitely love the cover!) The prospect of mythological beings is great too. Enjoyed reading your review!

    ReplyDelete