Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mini-Reviews #2

Hey guys! I've been super busy with writing and traveling, but I have had some time to read a couple of review books, so here goes my recent reads!



Author: Amy Andrews
ISBN:  0373207247
Release Date: 23rd July 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Kiss
Book Source: NetGalley

Buy From: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:


Talk nerdy to me
Samuel Tucker is absolutely the last person scientist Cassie Barclay would ever date. Yes, he's gorgeous, but he's also far too cocky for his own good and thinks that Pi is a tasty afternoon treat. So when he asks her to dance at her friend Reese's non-wedding she's wondering why on earth she says yes!

Tuck is used to people assuming he's all brawn and no brain, and amuses himself by winding Cassie up. But when he finally takes her to bed, suddenly it's Tuck who can show Cassie a thing or two! Can he convince her that love and sex have nothing to do with logic and everything to do with chemistry?

Review:

When I first saw this book, I had no idea it was a sequel in a quartet. But the books do work as standalones so I didn't really feel confused or anything whilst reading it. I am not always fond of Harlequin KISS reads, but this one sounded really interesting, not to mention the title and cover in particular were very catchy.

The thing with this book is, I wasn't a big fan of Cassie. She annoyed me to no end, and I guess maybe it was the author's attempt at making her sound so intelligent and hard to love because she's brutally honest and not really the touchy-feely type. But that didn't make sense to me, because if she was that ignorant of feelings and didn't count them for anything, she wouldn't have remained friends with the girls in her group. None of them had anything in common with her, or were anywhere near how smart she was, so technically remaining friends with them would be considered as a waste of time for her. I hated how she over analyzed everything. What made me read on though, was Tuck. Tuck's character was very charismatic, a touch arrogant, but also ridiculously irresistible. Which made for a fun clash between him and the exceptionally messy Cassie. I enjoyed his amusement to all things Cassie, and his strange interest in her. He was also very romantic and his grand gestures were quite sigh-worthy. The sparks between them were very cute.

I enjoyed Amy's writing, it made for an easy and quick read, but I didn't like the development of Cassie's character. 

All in all, a fun summer read!

Rating: 2.5/5




Title: Runaway Groom
Author: Sally Clements 
ISBN: 1489530320
Release Date: July 7th 2013
Publisher:  CreateSpace
Book Source: NetGalley

Buy From: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:


Seven years ago, Matthew Logan ran out on his wedding to June Leigh.

Life is good for fledgling dress-designer April Leigh. She couldn’t be happier that her sister has found a new love, and is excited about her very first commission, June’s wedding dress.
On learning June has invited runaway groom Matthew Logan to the wedding, April has to intervene. Matthew’s presence will ruin everything – her father hates him, and just the sight of him in the church might give her mother a heart attack.

Matthew Logan has no intention of going to June’s wedding, but intriguing April’s arrival on his doorstep sparks his interest and he can’t resist getting to know her better. When a disaster forces them together neither can deny the passion that combusts into a red-hot affair.

Discovering the truth about the past shifts April’s feelings from lust to love, but bitter experience has taught Matthew to guard his heart.

When it looks as though Matthew will lose her forever, will he fight or flee?


Review:

The second I saw this book I had to have it. I am not sure why, but I really wanted to read it ASAP. So I requested it, and the second I got approved, I started reading it straightaway. I am not sure if it's the fact that I'm really in a contemporary mood this summer, or it's the fact that the story idea itself was very intriguing, but I just had to read it and see how it goes.

The reason why this book interested me should be quite understandable. After all, it's about a runaway groom with whom the protagonist's sister feels such a connection that she invites him to her wedding to another man. How does that work? I had to read in order to understand what would drive a girl to invite the ex who walked out on her to her wedding. Was she trying to get back at him? Showing him how she's finally over him and doing better than she could have with him? Or was she trying to show him she was over it and no hard feelings, they can now be friends?

The problem is, I did have another problem with the characters just like with the other book 'Girl Least Likely To Marry'. They didn't feel real, or well developed anyway. I liked Matthew's character, though at times he annoyed me. And I hated April's complete faith in her sister to the extent that it's gone overboard, especially with how spoilt and inconsiderate June was to her.

But that could be easily ignored once you get into the mood of the book. It's such a quick flowing read,  I was done with it in mere hours.

Rating: 2.5/5.

3 comments:

  1. Well, these two books look like sweet simple summer reads
    Nothing too major
    I am adding the second one to my TBR
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't connect the best with Cassie, but that it still managed to be quick and enjoyable

    ReplyDelete
  3. these two are quite impressive new releases! must add them!!!


    birdsflower

    ReplyDelete