Monday, July 15, 2013

Review: Invisible

Title: Invisible
Author: Marni Bates
ISBN:  0758269382
Publisher: Kensington Teen
Publishing Date: August 1st 2013
Buy Now: Amazon - B&N
Book Source: NetGalley

Goodreads Synopsis:


Jane Smith has survived three years of high school without making a single enemy, all by keeping a low profile. Not even her three best friends, Kenzie, Corey and Isobel, can say the same. But with Corey dating the lead singer from ReadySet and Kenzie in a relationship too, being invisible tends to be lonely. But now she's written an article for her school newspaper that has accidentally snagged the attention of some celebrities. Turns out, people get really upset when their innermost secrets are splashed all over the front page. And new her well-ordered life is being blasted to hell, with results that are wildly unexpected.



Review:

To be honest I have no idea if I like this book or the first one "Awkward" more. Which is actually very strange, since I expected to hate both of them based on their synopsis alone. I don't know why but the ideas felt strange. With Awkward, Kenzie gets famous for being a klutz who doesn't know CPR, I mean really? It sounded so lame. But Marni, for some reason managed to make it turn out great! I still don't think it was that convincing of an idea, but the story itself held its own with the characters and their development.  Now onto the second book with Kenzie's best friend Jane, you get to see how Kenzie's sudden fame affected the girl.

Jane is of the quiet type. She's nerdy, quirky, and okay with being invisible. That is, until her best friend  ends up famous and getting a lot of attention, not to mention her other best friend starts dating the lead singer in a band. She suddenly hates being invisible, hates being left out among her own friends, hates not being a part of their group again. But if there's one thing about Jane, it's that she doesn't handle confrontations, she keeps it in. She loves to write but can't bring up the courage to talk to her school newspaper teacher advisor to add a fiction page. She's also known as 'Grammar Girl'. Things change when she finally tries to speak up and ends up with the front page article to write for the school paper. To make things worse, she's forced to spend all her time with Scott, a photographer she had hoped to be friends with upon his arrival, only to find out he's a total jerk, and come up with the article together. To make things worse, one of the articles from her private notebook is used for the front page and she ends up in so much trouble with everyone, especially her best friends.

When I started reading the first page or two, I didn't feel like this was my kind of book. I did enjoy the first one, but something seemed off about this one. That opinion didn't last for long though, before the end of the chapter I was very interested in where the story was heading.

The characters in the story were a bit off at times, but the premise itself as well as the development of the story were great. I enjoyed Marni's writing very much, she's actually quite good. I didn't like Logan in this book, or Kenzie either. Hell, even Corey. Corey and Kenzie being Jane's best friends, I've seen more support on their part with Kenzie in Awkward, but they were very neglectful in this one, inattentive and neglectful. I mean, in book one when Jane was first invited to the ReadySet concert with her best friends, she was very excited about going, and had a blast there. So why on Earth would Corey assume she wouldn't want to go again and invite Kenzie's boyfriend Logan instead? Not to mention, I found it very cruel that he was talking about it all in front of Jane without attempting to invite her. Then there was the whole Logan thinking he should 'deal' with whatever problem Jane was having with Scott, when he only made everything worse for her with the guy. I mean, what right did he have to do that? Hell, he didn't  even bother to ask how she felt about the whole thing with Scott before interfering, it annoyed me.

So yeah, I enjoyed reading this book, it works as a very light summer read, I finished it in almost no time actually. I don't enjoy Marni's tendencies to limit down the good parts of the story. Like in book one with Kenzie's apology to Logan, which would have been the most interesting part of the book had it been prolonged, but it wasn't. Same goes with the ending of this book. But overall, a very entertaining read.

I don't think I'll be reading the next book in this series 'Notable'. I wasn't a big fan of Chelsea in the past two stories, and well, the premise of the third one does not sound the least bit appealing. Then again, maybe I'd be as surprised with it as I was with the first two books? I am not sure yet, we'll see once it's out.

Rating: 3/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment